• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open air Resevior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neilmon2

Registered
I'm thinking of creating a water cooling system where my resevior is a fountian. The fountain would be small and just sit on my desk or on a table some where. In the bottem part of the fountain I would create a resevior for with a submerable pump. The pumb would connect to the radiator in the computer then to the blocks then back to the fountain. My main concern is the water/additive combined with the open air. Any thought or ideas please share. I will post a pic later.

the problem with the link is you typed "http://" twice...
do you know how you would regulate the fountain height?

Last edited:
Zerex will work and doesn't have a smell, it does turn the water a pink color though. Also I will say this about desk fountains as I have a had a couple just for looks.
One: They splash on anything around them, warps desktop, etc.
Two: Because they splah all over they lose alot of water. This happens really fast, like every couple days.
Three: Getting a pump that will run a w/c system and not cause the fountain to shoot 3 foot in the air would be a huge thing.

Just a couple things to think about when working on this, be sure to show us pics of it if you do it as it will look really neat. :)

web.ics.purdue.edu/~nhasting/fountainsystem.pff

I hope that works better.

I would think with a powerful enouth pump i could do it. I was looking and found some for outdoor ponds and such that were between 350 and 550 gph and they were all adujusable down to 0 gph. I was thinking of riging it so you could adjust if from the outside of the foundain.

This is all just an idea right now. This would also be my first atempt at water cooling so i 'm not sure on pump power. I figure why not go full force.

well, i am thinking that adjusting the pump to an appropriate fountain height will adversly affect your temps, and i dont think that is worth it

That's an excellent idea. I hope you decide to carry this out, as it would be sweet. Actually, I may be wrong, but it looks like it should work perfectly without any regulation, as long as you don't get too strong of a pump; somewhere in the mid-300gph range should work well. Slowing the flow would adversely affect your temps, so this is something that you would want to avoid. I'd suggest experimenting with pumps of diffrent flow rates and seeing which one would work the best, if possible. Good luck!

Ok, here's the thing: you will need two pumps.

Pumps pump, they don't suck ;)
Here is someone who tried to have their pump suck ;)

The pump that shoots the fountain up to the desired height can't be used to pump water to the water block for that reason.
Well, it may work for a while.....but it will be bad for the pump- and the velocities you use for a desktop fountain are NOT going to be enough to cool anything hotter than a Via c3 ;)

With two separate pumps it would work though: one strong pump for the water cooling system and a weak one for the fountain (which could be throttled down as much as you want.)

Then you are back to just needing additives that will prevent algae, etc.

Or you could build an enclosed water cooling system and a standalone desk fountain :D

But the fountain makes for such fun possibilites for water "additives". I mean, you would have a place to dump spare beer while LANing, a place to use the bathroom when nobody is looking, and a place to wash ur dishes! :D

Err, I would be really careful with the water additive you use. I think coolant is toxic and some of the other coolants out there are pretty nasty as well. If you're gonna expose the water to open air, a lot of it is gonna get in the air and you'll end up breathing that sh*t - might not be too good for you.

wannaoc said:
Three: Getting a pump that will run a w/c system and not cause the fountain to shoot 3 foot in the air would be a huge thing.

Haha, if I tried this with my Iwaki pump, I'd have freaking geyser in my room ;)

Divine Madcat said:
But the fountain makes for such fun possibilites for water "additives". I mean, you would have a place to dump spare beer while LANing, a place to use the bathroom when nobody is looking, and a place to wash ur dishes! :D

Remind me never to go to your house for dinner... LOL! :D

If you are going to use 2 pumps, put in a small heat exchanger in the reservoir of the fountain. Just a loop of copper tubing. That way, you can run additives in the cooling system, and plain water in the fountain.

steve

Back