• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What waterblock for the 5900U??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Divine Madcat

Registered
i searched around, and didnt find much, so i thought i would ask.

My WC is an OTIS #5, with 1/2ID tubing.

Now, here is my problem. I want to WC my 5900U, but i cant see how i would do it. The Ramsinks are so tall, that it seems like any angled fittings would be blocked. I know i cant take them off, since they get so hot.

SO, is there any kind of waterblock that will work for the 5900's GPU at least? I am gonna finish my rig soon, and i really need to know. Thanks guys!

I tae it you mean FX 5900 Ultra, what RAM sinks are on it? Most waterblocks for GPU's are designed to go over the ramsinks. See the DangerDen website for pics.

Yes, i do mean the ultra. But these ramsinks are the stock ones. The ones that take up 2 slots (AGP and PCI #1)..

There is no way the DDMaz4 GPU would work... :(

I might be wrong but from what I have been seeing people say the SwiftTech MCW50 will work. If the memory heatsinks on the 5900 Ultra are still too high then possibly the TEC version, the MCW50-T would give a little more clearance. If the MCW50-T is still too low then Id say ditch the stock memory heatsinks and use some of the smaller BGA ones.

But why would i want to go smaller, when the LARGE versions cant hold all the heat?:confused:

And no, from what i see, the MC50 wont work either: bark straight through ramsinks.

*Am i the only one with a 5900U??? :confused:*

The only way i see it working is with liquid cooled ramsinks as well.. anybody know where i can get some of those? :)

Hmm... that is a rather difficult situation of yours. If possible, I'd hold out on watercooling your video card until some of the major brands come out with FX5900 blocks. It is a very new card. One option is to buy a northbridge waterblock, or even a CPU waterblock and epoxy it onto the core. This would probably not be as good of an option as getting a specifically designed GPU block, though.

Back