• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of questions about ducting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

Thermaltake Ducting Mod

How good is this?
Is it worth it?
Will it work with a SLK800 heatsink and a 80mm Tornado fan?

120mm to 80mm Fan Adapter

Would the ducting mod work with something like this (obviously a 90mm to 80mm adapter) if I wanted to use a 90mm Tornado fan?
Or would that be too much stacked up and 'pulling over' on the CPU?
Would all of that even fit in the case?

I wouldnt try it, the TT ducting mod would probably clip in to the HSF, the fan adaptor wouldnt even clip in to the SLK-800, if it was a 92 to 80mm adaptor. So the ducting mod with 80mm tornado is your best bet.

No I meant like this

90mm tornado -- fan adapter -- duct -- heatsink -- cpu

You don't need a fan apdapter to use a 90mm fan on an SLK800. Look here. I wouldn't see much of a use in ducting. It would be difficult to execute properly, and wouldn't yield far better temps anyways.

The duct would give you about 2°C drop, but its for an 80mm fan. Using an adapter on top of it would most likely do nothing more than limit airflow. You could try to make a similar shroud out of cardboard or something, but an SLK800 with a Tornado is just about as good as it gets anyways.

Well I think I will get it and just use an 80mm Tornado, no adapter.

The adaptor works as a shroud which significantly decrease ur temp. Thats why people use shrouds for their heatercores/radiators. Check the watercooling section. EVERYONE will agree that having a shroud will SIGNIFICANTLY decrease your temp. (not to mention quieter from the bigger fan)

However, i dont know how well it will work with an SLK800 because of the way that heatsink is shaped. I'm thinking more generic (square block) type of heatsinks will see more improvement from that adaptor.

Back