• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Water Cooling: No Name Yet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maeterlinck

Registered
Welcome to my project. The aim of this is to design, create and build an external water cooling structure. My perception is that it will hold the pump, rad, res and various control electronics. All, well most, will be built from scratch!
Technically this project hasn't started yet as my new Dremel hasn't arrived yet so I haven't made the first cut - but that will happen soon! :dremel:
Well enough babble here's some details:

::Design Plans::
front-elevation.gif
Front Elevation. The centre part is part of the res, the water level will be half of the glass cover creating a splash effect inside as the input will be from above.
side-elevantion.gif
Side elevation.
rear-elevevation.gif
Rear Elevation. This shows the 80mm fan intake, the two Hozelock connectors for feed and return, and 'kettle lead' 230VAC input and a control input/output to connect to the PC and possibly a desktop control box.
workings-elevation.gif
The internal workings. This shows the water routes and workings. The rad may be different depending on space, I had an idea of using copper pipe running back and forth just on the inside of the case (which is metal) but a rad will be best even if it's only small and I do both.

For more pictures head over to Bit Tech Forums. Where I can post more pictures: GO HERE

Well this is already going to be a ***** for any unlucky 56Kers out there so apologies but I am shutter-happy with my digicam...

Please let me know what you think and anything that you think I should add/change.

Oh and there will be lighting effects before you ask I just haven't decided on the circuits as space will be tighter that the fat club minibus.

serious project...
i don't see hour your rad is going to get any direct airflow onto it?
it seems like it is just sitting in the case with some 80mm fans pulling air through the case

Looks good, but i would suggest that you make it so the hot water hits the rad first, then the res (since the rad has no fan on it..). But, its up to you.

Oh, and you do really need a fish in there. :)

Yes quite a few people have mentioned the air flow through the rad now. the designs obviously arn't final yet and the rad is something that definately isn't set in stone yet - mainly because I don't have it yet. I was also thinking about combining a small rad with lots of copper tubing going back and forth inside the case (which is metal).
However, whatever I do the rad will have proper air flow probably by way of air ducts and more effecient mounting. again i don't know about space until i start to physically create the thing!

I really want opinions and suggestions atm!!!

I'd move the rad all the way to the bottom of the case, with a 120mm fan pulling air through it, then have some vents in the top/sides to let out the air.

This is assuming it isn't going to sit right on the ground. I'd add some small "feet" to it.

no it will probably sit on the groud or other surface. the black squares on the bottom are the feet. about 10mm high. i don't think an in take at the bottom would be a good idea as it wouldn't be very carpet compatible. also it would draw in and crap that was lying around on the floor.
also as heat rises wouldn't it be best to have the rad at the top so the air doesn't heat all the other compontents on its way out?

you want the cool air through the rad, it doesnt really matter if the res or pump get hit by hot air as much as it matters if the rad does

There will be a seperate schematic for the electrics. Untill I start to build and get to a stage where I can actually see the spaces I have in side I won't be able to create this. However, I do know what it will consist of:
Isolation circuit for the pump AC
StepDown and regulation circuit to power leds and fans (to 12VDC)
Control Circuits: I want to have the PC and WC turn on with one button, the PC to shut down if things go wrong, simple flow meter (to work the same way a fan speedo does), temp sensing, fans controlled by this. I know this sounds difficult - but the individual circuits aren't that hard - it's getting them to work together that will be difficult. But hey - I'll panic when I get to this!

Agreed Project No Name Yet is a bit dull - I'm uninspired though (c;

Back