• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dtek WhiteWater just arrived!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I've ran a few tests and it looks like my temps have fallen a bit from the Innovatek block I was running.

Innovatek block was reading 38C idle and 48C load.

New WW block is reading 36C idle and 42C load.

This is with my system running at 180 x 12 at 1.9vcore.

I'm pretty pleased so far, I wonder if the temp will go down more after the AS3 has time to "cure"?

Awesome block Cathar, thanks for the design! :D

the as3 curing might drop your temp by 1c but thats probly about it.
but anyways grats =) i know a lot of people feel like its christmas when thier blocks arrive

Miralcos said:
I'm pretty pleased so far, I wonder if the temp will go down more after the AS3 has time to "cure"?

Awesome block Cathar, thanks for the design! :D

AS3 cures fairly quickly in the first two hours or so to give around a 0.5-1C drop from a fresh install. After that it may give an extra 1C or so after 2-4 days, but I find this is dependent upon how well the block is mounted (how even the pressure is against the CPU), with more even mounts yielding the benefit, while lousy mounts not seeing any real gain as the paste cures.

Glad you like the design too. I'm proud of it. :)

I would have thought you would have seen a bigger drop than that!! Were you using a half inch system before the whitewater? Do you have enough pressure on the block? Is it possible that your tubes are pulling on the block from one side?
However having said all that you can see a huge difference in load temps already!

Should have mine next week

GWN said:
I would have thought you would have seen a bigger drop than that!! Were you using a half inch system before the whitewater? Do you have enough pressure on the block? Is it possible that your tubes are pulling on the block from one side?
However having said all that you can see a huge difference in load temps already!

Should have mine next week
A 6C drop is not impressive?

Sorry i was refering to his idle temps. But yah those load temps are a huge improvement! I hope I can get the same with mine!

GWN said:
Sorry i was refering to his idle temps. But yah those load temps are a huge improvement! I hope I can get the same with mine!
Idle temps mean nothing, they are useless numbers.

nikhsub1 said:

Idle temps mean nothing, they are useless numbers.

How so? If a computer is idle, it is idle. If it is at load, what load? Load to some people means surfing, and when they give load temps are they always running the same (load) programs? If you've got a 50 or 70 watt CPU steady at idle, I'd say that's far from useless for a comparison.

Romebaby said:

How so? If a computer is idle, it is idle. If it is at load, what load? Load to some people means surfing, and when they give load temps are they always running the same (load) programs? If you've got a 50 or 70 watt CPU steady at idle, I'd say that's far from useless for a comparison.
Because CPU's were not made to be idle. The difference between idle/load can sometimes be of help, but in reality idle temps are useless.

SETI@HOME is a program which is similar to FOLDING@HOME it gives your computer small packets of information ot process while it is normally idle, Usually the programs place a 100% load on the processor.

Caeberos said:
SETI@HOME is a program which is similar to FOLDING@HOME it gives your computer small packets of information ot process while it is normally idle, Usually the programs place a 100% load on the processor.

he was being facetious

rugbyroy said:
what's an idle computer?

One that is not plugged in :D

I am afraid that I have to agree that idle temps are virtually useless for any type of comparison- even a bad heatsink can end up with a pretty good idle temp.

Load temps only count if the cpu is at 100% load.
And that is really the only way to judge the effectiveness of a cooling scheme as well.

But back on track...!

Excellent improvement man! At different times I have fought, scratched and modded like crazy to get just a few degrees dropped from my load temps- 6c is a huge difference when on the edge......
Enjoy :D

Gordon Airport said:
Do temps really matter that much at all? Isn't the bottom line how much more of an overclock you can pull off?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Wise words.

With all the inaccuracies in temp monitoring, comparing from one pc to another is......just about as accurate as me looking out my window in Massachusetts and telling someone in switzerland what the weather is like- at THEIR house! lol.

System stability (especially when overclocked) is the whole point of monitoring temps anyway: a lower indicated temp should help you achieve a faster, longer-lived cpu.
But not always! Bottom line: if it doesn't crash, EVER, it's good :)

Gordon Airport said:
Do temps really matter that much at all? Isn't the bottom line how much more of an overclock you can pull off?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Well, there's also the noise issue.

Someone may achieve good temperatures with screaming fans keeping the water cool on a small radiator giving them a great overclock.

Drop a large number of C at the block, and you can turn the fans down and have the best of both worlds.

With overclocking there is no denying that there is a point of diminishing returns the cooler you make the CPU, but if your system can maintain a stable high overclock in the middle of summer, just as well as in winter, then maybe that's a good enough reason too, rather than paying considerably more than $60 over summer for electricity to leave the air-conditioner on all the time to keep the room temperature down.

Many reasons to consider...

Back