• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DTEK whitewater Aluminum or Poly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
I am having a hard time deciding on either the aluminium topped or Poly topped D-TEK White Water. I am afraid that putting the aluminium into my system could present a corrosion problem And I am afraid of potential fractures in using the Poly top. Could the metal top be useful in radiating heat if the pump stops working. I have never used water cooling before but have been following it for months and thought about it for years. I preordered the aluminium top but am not sure if I should switch to the poly. They both seem to have positive and negative aspects. That poly top sure looks sweet! Hmmm... What to get? What do you think?

Last edited:
PerpetualBliss said:
I am having a hard time deciding on either the aluminium toped or Poly toped D-TEK White Water. I am afraid that putting the aluminium into my system could present a corrosion problem And I am afraid of potential fractures in using the Poly top. Could the metal top be useful in radiating heat if the pump stops working. I have never used water cooling before but have been following it for months and thought about it for years. I preordered the aluminium top but am not sure if I should switch to the poly. They both seem to have positive and negative aspects. That poly top sure looks sweet! Hmmm... What to get? What do you think?
Your concerns are valid... Except that the top will be of NO USE should the pump fail, makes no diff what material it is. Since D-Tek reworked the barbs and the poly tops, I think they should be bulletproof and no chance of corrosion with the poly top. Tough call but if it were me, id go for the poly.

I noticed that the white water has what looks like three layers two copper layers and then am aluminum top. Is it possible that the water never comes in contact with the aluminum top on these units. do the threads pass through down into the second copper layer and bypass the aluminum. if so would that eliminate the corrosion issues? can someone confirm this. Maybe open up one of those guys and let us know.

The aluminum top is treated with an hard anodized Type II finish. A hard anodize Type II finish specifically prevents abrasion and corrosion.

Also in the event your pump does fail, your cpu is toast unless you have some program to prevent that. On a ligheter note, i have seen some poly tops actually melt when the pump has failed for a period of time, however aluminum tops will remain intact, so an aluminum top will survive, even if the cpu won't

Most new mobos have shutdown temp precautions so cpus toasting shouldn't be a problem if you have it. But at what temp~ do poly tops melt :eek: ?!?

Actually someone posted a melted poly-top experience a while back, i don't think i will find it, but it was interesting to see. I think it was one of those murphy's law situations too.

Don't worry about it, if you want a poly-top i am sure you won't be dissapointed, most of bad things you hear are exceptions, not rules, I hope :D.

Good Luck

:edit:
Score! found it!
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191577&highlight=melted

Last edited:
I emailed D-TEK about the aluminum block and D-TEK SAID:

"Very little is in contact with water. Just the a slight amount if any will see water so aluminum is not really an issue with this particular block. Either way they are treated and safe."

Have you decided on which block your going to get PerpetualBliss? I can't decide if I want the aluminum top or the Poly top either. :-/

When I made my preorder, they offered the poly-top switch, and I took them up on it. The poly-top didnt really ship to me, I got the aluminum topped one...and to tell you the truth I am really glad I got this one. I think it looks really good, and since the aluminum is highly andonized it shouldnt worry you...the corrosion wont happen.

Well, I just ordered the Aluminum topped White Water. I kinda liked the look of the Aluminum topped version more so than the Poly top. I also liked the fact that the Aluminum version has the middle plate, which Cathar's original design had.

I have ordered the aluminum topped White Water. I feel better about having an all metal block. I am also now on the wait list for a cascade block. the cascade will be ready in about 4+ weeks. :)

Back