• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbcue

Registered
What kind of pumps do you guys have. I have read the pump reviews @ OC.com and I don't know what to get. I just want some suggestions. I was looking into the VIA AQUA 1300 because of the size (going to be in an external casing above my case) and the price. It's also gotta be quiet!

If I were to submerge my pump, are there any guidelines of tips?

my danner mag drive 3 came in the ups truck on tues, and i'm happy with the noise when it is submerged, also the flow and pump head are great, and it is only like 45 or so shipped from marinedepot.com

Search Via Aqua 1300. It's a hit and miss. BTW via states to run the pump submerged at all times.

What do you guys think of Swiftech's MCP300 pump? As compared to like the Eheim 1250 or Hydor L30. From what I've heard Eheim is great, and I've also seen some good stuff about the Hydor... nothin on Swiftechs. I'm tryin to decide what to get for my new setup... At first I thought the Hydor because of price, and then I heard so much good about Eheim I'm reconsidering the extra $20 or so for it, even if it is alot bigger. Just lookin for quiet and reliable like everyone else I guess :)

gbcue said:
But you don't have to. I've seen setups non submerged.

Yeah I've seen quite a few too. But because of all those failed pump stories I would. Prolong that via aqua as long as possible until you have to buy another pump ;)

Actually, you could get a Danner Mag 5 (500GPH) :eek: for the approx less than the Swiftech/Hydor/Eheim. Or maybe thats overkill?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend submerging the Via Aqua 1300 (they say run it that way, but you don't have to...just keep water in it)...it gets pretty hot and will just heat your water

I have a Maxi-jet 1200 which im lovin so far. I did have a problem with it but it was due to some solder in the heater core that came loose and reaked havoc on the impeller. But it survived unharmed and its running as we speak, plus you cant beat the price like 25bucks shipped or even less.
~Peace

I have two Maxi-jet 900's and two Maxi-jet 1000's.

While they are all quiet, the 900's do run cooler. Knowing what I know now, I'd run 900's all the way around. Not quite as powerful, but more than enough for a computer.

Mind you, it's not warm enough for me to rip the rigs apart and switch pumps. But I did make a concious decision to mount them near air-flow.

Has anyone heard anything about the Rio Powerheads? I'm in the UK so what I can get I slightly different to that of the US. Anyone had any experience with it? Or can someone suggest a good pump for less than the Eheims that can be bought in Britian.
Cheers!

Back