• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Speed causing errors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zaal

Question for you guys about RAM. I am using a Gigabyte GA-7VAX board with PC 2100 RAM. Would this cause errors? Someone told me that I would have to increase the speed of the RAM to get it to work with the new board and the 2500+ I just installed. Is this true?

Any help is great. Thank you.

Zaal

Your barton is designed to run at 166 fsb (166x2)

Your pc2100 is designed to run at 133fsb (133x2)

My suggestion is to pick up some pc2700 or better ram and turn that barton loose.

With the pc2700 (or better) you will see a 30% increase in speed.

With the price of ram headed down I would suggest a 512mb stick of 3200 if you want to overclock and later upgrades. If you are looking for stability (and want to save a little money) go with 2700.

You can easily reach 185fsb with 2700.
With the kt400 you want to run your ram and the cpu 1/1 (same speed). There is no pci/agp lock so your overclock is limited.

Do you know what version board you have?

Good luck with the new barton.

Let us know how things turn out and post any new quetions you have.

*With my vax i run pc2700( infineon)and a tbred b 2100- (stable @ 180fsb)-no increase vcore- [email protected] *

I ran the memory through a memtest86 test. I'm thinking that the memory just sucks. It's a used stick so I don't think that's going to work out. I'll be buying a stick of 2700 on tuesday so I'll give that a try.

Thanks very much for the info. :D

Back