• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLk-900 running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steamclient03

i just installed an slk-900u on my computer and now i am getting higher temps than my older hsf. It is screwed in all the way and thermal paste is applied and spread. (50+degrees new temp; idle)

What fan are you using on the SLK?
Are you sure that the heatsink is making proper contact? And what thermal compound are you using?

ensure you have installed it correctly, it is possible to have it switched around...the screwdriver catch should be facing the PSU and make sure part of the hsf isn't on the lip of the socket...believe me, it happens. if it's not that, remove, reapply and reseat...good luck.

Make sure the fan is blowing onto the heatsink, too. When I first installed my SK-6+ a while back I accidentally had the fan pulling air off... needless to say, it works better now.

Edit: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!

The SLK-900 is a bolt-on heatsink, so it can't be installed backwards. Are the mounting bolts tightened down all the way?

ensure you have installed it correctly, it is possible to have it switched around...the screwdriver catch should be facing the PSU and make sure part of the hsf isn't on the lip of the socket...believe me, it happens. if it's not that, remove, reapply and reseat...good luck.

The slk900u does not have a clip, it uses screws.

Shade is right, check to see if the fan is blowing on the hs or taking the hot air out. I heard it doesnt make much of a difference but go ahead and try. if thats not it then im guessing theres not enough pressure or its on crooked.

steamclient03 said:
i just installed an slk-900u on my computer and now i am getting higher temps than my older hsf. It is screwed in all the way and thermal paste is applied and spread. (50+degrees new temp; idle)

Remove the heatsink & check what the paste looks like underneath, I suspect that it isn't seated properly because of nearby components that might not have bent enough.

it doesnt matter what way round you have the fan on the slk-900, when i did it by accident, i noticed about a 1 degree difference. i wouldn't have noticed at all if i wasnt to be fiddling with something else on my system and my hair happened to be blowing about a bit, i thought it was strange and then realised what i had done.
I panicked, switched it back round, and booted. There was basically no difference, which surprised me.

Sounds like to me there can be a few things,
A: what fan are you using? hopefuly not a cheep 20CFM one.
B: are you sure you have the bolts tightened down enough to seat properly? there are springs on it so you cant over tighten.

-L_P

First , thanks shade00, secondly, i am using a tt sf 2 running at full, and sadly enough i am using stock thermal paste and all the bolts are tightened and seated properly

The first time I put my slk 900 on, I forgot to put the little pads on the bottom. The temps were great. I had to remove the processor, so I decided to put the little pads on. Now I'm running about 6C higher. I'm waiting for the AS3 to cure to see if, I get back to the temp before the pads were installed. If not then, I'm removing the pads.

you shouldnt use those pads. The only reason they are there is for a little protection against chipping teh core. And guess what, the Athlon XPs alreday have them.

You should probably try reseating it. First time I put on my slk-800u w/ AS3, I was getting 50+ temps. Turns out my screws were really lose even though I thought I had put them on tightly. I reapplied my as3 also and now temps are 39 idle/ 44-46 load (depends if AC is on :))

I reapplied my as3 also and now temps are 39 idle/ 44-46 load (depends if AC is on )

okay those temps right there make me wonder if my temps are a lie. I have an SK7 and i get aroun 30 idle and 33 load. What is the deal here. I lapped it with 600 grain, used ceramique, and i have a tornado on it, but i dont think the temps should be that low. There are only 1.66 volts going through the proc though...

/\\/3|2o said:
you shouldnt use those pads. The only reason they are there is for a little protection against chipping teh core. And guess what, the Athlon XPs alreday have them.

The XPs have them, but the only reason that the SLK-900/800 comes with them is because they're too narrow for those pads.

As for the temps, I am running 56°C load on 2100+@2295MHz/1.86V, but my ambient is around high 80's(°F). Are you using a hardware monitor to check your temps? That's where I'm getting the 56°C from. With this same setup, MBM5 gives me 48°C load.

I reapplied it but i am still getting only slightly better temps:)47 degrees.) Wondering if those temps are right.

Got it fixed now. Turns out it was a connection problem. I'm now getting 15+ degrees cooler than before. Thanks for the help.

steamclient03 said:
Got it fixed now. Turns out it was a connection problem. I'm now getting 15+ degrees cooler than before. Thanks for the help.

What did you do wrong? I'm new to all this aftermarket heat sink business too and I just bought a Zalman 7000. I applied it with AS3 3 different times and my idle temps didn't drop. My load only dropped 2 or 3C. I had an Retail intel fan and have a [email protected].

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Back