• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED CPU running hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

I have been using MBM5 for my CPU temps. Unfortunately, my motherboard sensors are more off than I thought. I'm running at 2430MHz(13.5*180)@1.9VCore now :eek: and I'm getting 49°C on MBM5. Using the Nexus Multipanel to monitor my actual temps (sensor is next to core, "above" it in terms or tower mounting, covered in AS3 for better heat transfer), I am getting 57°C!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Now I have to figure out how to cool this thing better. :(

Oh I forgot to mention, these are somewhat idle temps. This computer right now is nowhere near a full load!

Which TT Smart fan you got using?
Also MB sensors are always wayy off, one thing you can do if you have a sensor in the middle of your Socket is bend it up a bit so it touches the bottom of the cpu, you wil get more accurate readings, as for getting you cpu cooler, you can look into water cooling, peltier, or add a few more case fans that are high speed such as 60CFM or above.
-L_P

I already have it lapped up to 600 using BillA and Graystar's method. I have remounted and reapplied AS3 several times going thinner and a bit thicker, without much change (a bit worse, though). I just started running it at what I used to run it at: 2295/1.86V and MBM gives me max temp loads of 48°C(used to be 46°C, but ambient was cooler...this is from toast), the Nexus gives me 55°C. Man... *wonders how hot her CPU was actually running when MBM load temps were 52°C*

rugbyroy said:
Prometeia?

LOL. I wish I could afford one! Then my CPU can escape the rising temps of the California summer. :D

Nerd, I wouldn't really worry about the temps as long as you are stable. Sure, the hotter you run the shorter the life of your chip, but it's very unlikely that your CPU will die before you upgrade and replace it. Sure it's cool to brag about your temps and how great they are and compare with other people, but it's such an inexact science that it is truly pointless. Temperatures vary greatly from board to board and even more so from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you aren't experiencing any lockups or instability, don't fret.

Lord_MiL said:
Nerd, I wouldn't really worry about the temps as long as you are stable. Sure, the hotter you run the shorter the life of your chip, but it's very unlikely that your CPU will die before you upgrade and replace it. Sure it's cool to brag about your temps and how great they are and compare with other people, but it's such an inexact science that it is truly pointless. Temperatures vary greatly from board to board and even more so from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you aren't experiencing any lockups or instability, don't fret.

I REALLY want to run at 13.5x180, but it locks up within 30 seconds of running toast. :(

LOL. I wish I could afford one! Then my CPU can escape the rising temps of the California summer.

NL, wouldn't presume to tell you about cooling since you were one of the most helpful people out here when I first got here :) . My summer temps are up, too. Was running a couple degrees cooler than in my sig during spring. I'm guessing you thought of this already-but maybe a blast from some canned air thru the fins?

FlailBoy said:

NL, wouldn't presume to tell you about cooling since you were one of the most helpful people out here when I first got here :) . My summer temps are up, too. Was running a couple degrees cooler than in my sig during spring. I'm guessing you thought of this already-but maybe a blast from some canned air thru the fins?

I don't mind it. There's always a possibility of me missing something. :D I just got my MB back and I cleaned my HS in the interim. Needless to say, I believe I checked everything. *wishes for air conditioning in her own room* Z can melt in his room with the PC. LOL :D

j/k, Z. :) Seriously, though, I wish we had air conditioning in the house. The computer would probably be running at 50C on full load, which would be much better than 57C. Yes, I mentioned a 7C drop. Here in California, room temps are probably in the high 80's, low 90's(F, of course). With AC, I could get them down to the low 70's.

I feel ya nerd...ugh...its so hot here in cali. Im almost sweating sitting here lol, at 1 in the morning! with the fan on!!!!

I guess thats one thing to lookforward to for winter. July is too hot here!

How accurate is the Thermistor on the Nexus? Have you used a known accurate reference point to calibrate it? It's hard to accept your claims since there has been numerous reports in the past that while other peoples CompuNurses & the like report lower than In - Die readings.

On the flip side your Internal Diode could be off too.

Back