• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn.. Corsair XMS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Vdimm is at 2.9v max, timings are currently 2 4 5 12. This is 512 mb pc3200 XMSc2 (black heat spreader). System its in is the top system in sig. It just won't run synch @200fsb. I have to run it at 83% to be stable, but that pulled off almost 1600 3d2k1 marks from when I was at 12x190fsb. Anyone have an idea on how I can run it synch at @200 stable? Lower the timings even more? I'm looking for best performance.. I don't think my system can do 230fsb to run this stick synch.

Tyranos,

I had problems with the same XMS I got from Newegg 2 months ago. It was version 2.2 (it's on the sticker). I couldn't get it to run at 200 without errors in memtest and prime, the system was glitchy, too.

I RMA'd it because it did not run at the specified timings. I suggest you do the same. If you didn't get it at newegg and your reseller has a problem, go straight to Corsiar. They are really good about replacing bad memory. My gut feeling is that they are binning the chips a bit harder to get the pc3500 and pc3700 they offer, which leaves the pc3200 with less headroom.

Once I got my replacement (version 1.1), I was able to run it up to 220 at 2-3-3-6 with a couple errors, so I backed it down to 210 MHz @2-2-2-6 (2.7v)... Good luck.

oh, wait... how old is your mb? The chipset might not be able to do 200... Can you check the memory in another system? Otherwise, if it is the MB, you might need to put getter cooling on the northbridge and the MOSFETs.

I would first test the ram before you do anything else. Corsair is great ram but defective sticks do show up time to time. Run Memtest86 to see if your ram is causing errors. Start at 166fsb with tight timings(2-2-2-6) and increase it 5 mhz at a time with default voltage until you get errors.

Hmm mod messed with the post and sig. Well, sig should be there now, and the motherboard is just a few months old. Its a revision 1.1. I'm intensely burning in the RAM right now, and I will probably have to do the vdd mod. Thanks guys.

Hey man :) I was using sandra and 3dmark. All the burning in so far didn't do anything. I'll still do it, but I have a strong suspicion that its the vdd. I dropped the multi down low and raised the fsb to 205 for ~1.8ghz, but it would bring up errors in prime and sandra, as well as 3d mark. It might even be the psu. I've noticed the vdd fluctuates down to 1.584 often. In fact, all of them vary from normal to -.02v. I did memtest but that didn't bring up any errors. I'm stable right now at 11.5x195, which gives me some mem bandwidth.

I love o/cing my systems, but its pulling a lot of time away from my artwork :p

Back