• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Way to cool air flowing through case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

For the past few days, its been really hot in my room like 80 or 90 degrees everyday, and that of course affects my CPU temps.. its been loading at about 45°C and idleing about 40. Today is the first time in a while its been about 65-70 in here. My temps have gone down a LOT. I was wondering if there is an inexpensive and quiet method to cooling the air taken in by the intake fans. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

sadly there isnt a way to cool the air down by fans, the coolest your case will ever get is the ambient room temp.
However a 45C cpu load temp is still good, I would worry if you where hitting 50C or above. in that case you can look into a peltier cooler for your cpu so it can go cooler then the room temp.
however your case temp sdly unless you plum a A/C duct to the front of your case your screwed. I know a bud up in Canada that has piped a duct from his window unit to his system. lol he is getting like 20C case and cpu temps lol. but really unless you install a A/C unit into your room you may want to look at a peltier cooler.
-L_P

You could put a container of dry ice infront of the intake fans. Or even in the case. Wouldn't be too efficient though. Stuff's pretty cheap if you get it from a manufacturer. Place near my home sells it as a by product of making other liquified gasses. Cooler full (big plastic cooler) runs about $4. Stuff lasts for days too. Put some in a butter bowl in the bottom of the case and it'll drop the temps.

To help with one of mine iv moved the PC in front of a shaded open window took the case side off and changed the 2 back fans to blow into the case and the CPU fan to suck hot air way from the hsk
its now 5'c cooler

Room 30'c
CPU 42'c (was 47'c)
Case 35'c

Borgy

A cost efficient way to cool down the air would be for example to use the evaporating effect of water. The fan will blow the air through a wet piece of cloth or suck the air through it. The evaporating water on the cloth will cool down the air. This is the theory, but there are some problems in practice.

1- The wet piece of cloth or filter will maybe limit the air which is taken in.

2- You will have to keep the filter permanently wet, and I don't know how to do that yet ( considering that it will have to be some kind of ghetto mod to keep things affordable.)

3- The evaporating water will be pushed or sucked right inside your case. That means moisture=corrosion may become an important issue.

Well this is actually a project I was planning for a while, I did't try it yet , but it worked for John Schulze's project on the home page and there should be a way to adopt it to our needs.

I just wanted to share, maybe someone with more experience would contribute some usefull knowledge :)

no one mentioned using a TEC. kinda like those cheap coolers that you plug in. All you would have to do is get two good heatsinks all copper 1U sinks should work, a tec and two fans. Cut a square whole in the side of the case. Glue the tec into the whole. leaveing the cold side on the inside and hot side on the outside. Then place one heatsink on both sides. and put on the fans. Then turn it on. The tech will chill the air inside while condensing all the mosture making your computer less humide then before. You might need a drip collector. Should work just like those little Tec coolers you buy at the stores.

Just My 2 cents on the idea.

Switch to water cooling, and build an evaporitive cooling tower, if you're up for that much intense hobby-building.

Evaporative cooling towers can cool water to below ambient. Not waaay below ambient, but below ambient.

Back