• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got SLK-800A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fletch

My new heatsink (SLK-800A) will be arriving in a couple hours (unless the FedEx truck crashes), and I'm wondering if anyone has tips before I mount it. I've got a 1333 Tbird, so it has temp problems anyways, but I'm looking for the best temps I can get... Should I lap it or do anything else to it as soon as I get it?

run your fingernail along the bottom, if you can feel ridges you need to lap it, if you don't lapping is your choice.

the SLK800 is awsome, I wouldnt lap it they already come with a mirror finish on the bottom, just add a little AS3 and mount that bad boy, What fan you gonna put on it?
I hope a kick butt fan with 50CFM or more :D
-L_P

It just came about 30 min ago :)

I have this old Flowmax 80mm that runs at .3A, and it screams and pumps out air. I hooked a rheostat to it and have the controller for it in one of my bays.

I'm going to wait to put my system back together until I can pick up a couple round cables at the local computer store. I guess I'll let you all know what I can get off this ;)

L_P said:
the SLK800 is awsome, I wouldnt lap it they already come with a mirror finish on the bottom, just add a little AS3 and mount that bad boy, What fan you gonna put on it?
I hope a kick butt fan with 50CFM or more :D
-L_P

They don't all come like that. Mine had machining ridges, each 1mm deep. You may need to lap it.

Install it outside of the case without the fan on it. It's harder to
get it on with a fan on there.

Mine came like nerdlogic's. I lapped out the machining ridges and put ASII on there, as I have no ASIII. Got the round cables from the store, and it's running at 43C under load, which is quite an improvement. The sound is soooooo much less, and the temps are 7C less already.

nerdlogic said:

They don't all come like that. Mine had machining ridges, each 1mm deep. You may need to lap it.

Install it outside of the case without the fan on it. It's harder to
get it on with a fan on there.

thats wired, there must be more than one kind, some seem to be perfect, and others awful... thats odd.

OK, after watching the temps very carefully the last day, the socket temp always falls into 20F/10C over case temp, so I'm going to cut two holes for two 92mm fans in the side panel to get more fresh air in there. Stock speed, it's running at 42C under load with case side on, 39-40C with case side off. Got to 1581 (175*9) before it locked up, going to try more later after I tweak a bit.

stan03 said:

thats wired, there must be more than one kind, some seem to be perfect, and others awful... thats odd.

Mine had ridges, and a mirror finish. Don't let the finish fool you, they all need to be lapped for best performance.

:cool:

hmm... I just got mine today also.. but i dunno how to install it :eek:

The Thermalright site has instructions but it's kinda confusin. I have to stick those 4 white pads on the dots on the heatsink even though the cpu already has 4 black dots? So they sit on top of each other..?

and which hole on the side of the heatsink do i put the metal clips into? there are 4 holes and they don't seem to fit.. =/

So how should i go step by step?
This is my first time puttin together a cpu so I'm kinda noob style still. Does this order sound right:

-apply as3 to cpu
-put cpu in socket
-apply as3 on heatsink
-mount heatsink on cpu
-mount fan on heatsink

im tryin to do all this right now heh.

thanks. :p

I didn't use the pads. I can only get my system up to 181*8.5 :(
It locks up if I put FSB or multiplier any higher...

Back