• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4800 overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venom2003

My Setup:

Pentium 4
Current Speed: 2.6ghz
Asus P4800
512mb 2700 ddr ram
RADEON 9800 128MB DDR AGP8X
80 gig hard-drive
TDK 40x Burner
A-open Dvd+RW/+R Burner
4 Fans.
400 Watt Supply

I would like to know what is the best and safe overclock speed to use for my system.

When I checked my processor info...it said my max cpu speed is 3.6ghz

What do i need to adjust in my bios settings to overclock?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

**I'm a newbie***

oc

You didn't really say which Asus board you have... there is a P4C800 and a p4p and no telling what else... which one you have?

In the bios there is probably a drop down menu called advanced or something like that. If there is there will probably be at the top a function to change to manual, if so change to manual and it will bring up more choices. Choose the 10% automatic to get started with and then you can play with the other manual settings like changing the FSB and ram timings later.

Basicly under manual you change the fsb higher until things don't want to work properly or won't boot at all. You can change the ram timings around to see which works best like 2-2-2-5 and you can change the divider settings to 1 to 1 and 5 to 1 or somesuch.

Basicly it is a try it and see if it works. Try to get the best you can without raising the vcore as that will also raise your temps which you want to keep under 52C if you can.

asus p4p800 motherboard.

Can't I get the correct values to tweak to 3ghz or 3.2ghz?

I don't wanna start messing around with bios until I get the correct value. *i'm a newbie*

thanks again.

Well there isn't really a "correct" value that guarantees it will work perfectly for everyone. Considering your ram and assuming retail cooling start with this:
Disable the AI overclock and go to manual settings. Set your front side bus to 250, set your ram ratio to 266, lock the agp/pci setting to 66/33. Set your cpu core voltage to 1.6, set your mem voltage to 2.75. Go to chipset features and select manual control instead of spd. Select 2337 and auto for the remaining settings. Try booting up and running at this speed. If this is stable start going up on the fsb in 5MHz steps. leave the other settings the same. Given your ram is pc2700 you may be limited going above 250 with the 3:2 ratio. 250fsb with a the 3:2 ratio is right at spec for pc2700. I have no idea how much higher your ram can go, but that's the lowest ratio you can select on that board.

Very helpfull to baby OC'er

That was very hlpfull. In fact those starter figures you gave really made my a huge success. I have been trying to OC my proc for a couple of weeks now and have finlly got some real results.
It was the ram advice that helped the most as xms3200c2 is just xms2700 oc'd. In any event I have been able to get things stable at 3.07. I'm pretty sure at this point with pc3500 or better along with better cooling I should be able to go even further.
Thanks again! woOT! :>

thanks for your help. after reading about my motherboard and found out it has a ai overclock system i was able to overclock my computer to 2.94 ghz with no problem. i can't go any higher for now. i'm hoping when i buy my pc3200 ram i can overclock more. thanks.

Back