• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Hardrive Is Hot/warm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottylynx

Registered
my hardrive is pretty hot i put my finger on it and it didn't burn me but it did feel very warm is that a bad sign? i have a 300w power supply with a fan and another extra fan..... should i buy one more fan to be safe or do ALL hardrives get hot?

All desktop hard drives get warm. How warm will vary depending on the rotational speed of the drive...5400 rpm drives are cooler than their 7200 rpm siblings. If you are worried about temperatures, adding more fans is a good idea.

All harddrives do get hot if they are in the little 3.5" caddy that usually fits under the drive bays in an ATX case. For a small outlay you can buy an adaptor kit that mounts the drive in an empty 5.25" bay so the drive gets more airflow.

I don't think it kills the drive as mine gets so hot it can burn my finger, and has been running like that for 13 months now. But, if you want to, search online retailers in the case accessories sections.

i have 2 hd ones a 5400 and the other is 7200 7200 is WAY hotter than the 5400

the general temp in my comp is pretty warm but i dont think its hot enough to damage any of the parts on the AVERAGE system what is your opinions of the max temp a computer can restand b4 it gets too hot

I currently have my hard drives in my 5.25" bays since I needed room for my heatercore. I'm thinking about buying a harddrive cooler or this http://www.svc.com/twtu5bayhdds.html to help exhaust the heat out of my computer.

But all HD's do get hot and generally will last a long time. As long as you don't have an IBM 60 or 75 series then it should be fine.

I use something like this:

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/45/168.htm?867

although it's a bit older, with only one fan. I got it when my 20GB 7200 rpm drive (top of the line back then) was running to hot. Surprisingly, the very small amount of extra air flow provided was enough to cool the drive down to, say, lukewarm. You don't need much airflow on the hard drive, you just need Some.

wrt stars, I like my yellow stars.... Yellow is my lucky color :)

Back