• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried mobo - need cheap replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

Ok, I fried my beloved P4PE mobo which treated me so well. Dont ask how - it was just idiocy. I guess what i did can be analogous to spilling water on it when the powers on. The worst part is, i dont have anyone to blame but myself.

Anyway, the main parts of my system are in my sig. My dad doesnt know, so im gonna work, get some money, and buy a board. I'm thinking of just getting the P4PE again and everything's going to be just fine. Im unfamiliar with the current mobos so that seems preferable.

However, are there any cheap (or can be cheap if refurbed) mobos out there? Cheap = around $100. So if a mobo is $130, i can get it refurbed for $100.

Would it really be advatageous for me to get a 865 board? I have one stick of 512mb, my cpu is relatively old, etc. Of course, many of you will say that when i upgrade itll be nice to have a good board. However, ill probably upgrade when prescott comes out and i'd want to get a board that take FULL advantage of its features.

As you can see, im partially biased to the P4PE. However, if something thats better for me is out there then i'll take it (if its the right price).

Thanks in advance.

There are several variants of the P4PE out there. The newest incarnation, the P4PE-X, isn't really an improvement over the P4PE - the only real advantage it has is FSB adjustments up to 230. It also lacks SATA, Firewire, and Gigabit LAN. BUT - it's $86.99 brand new from Newegg. There also other 845PE boards from Newegg, including an Epox board for $70. Personally I think you'd be smart to just stick with 845PE. As you said, you don't plan on upgrading until Prescott, so you can buy a new motherboard and CPU then. You wouldn't see any advantage going to 865, as you'd have to buy another stick of RAM to take advantage of its one major improvement.

So there - my two cents.

Back