• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would this be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daetalix

Registered
I want to order parts for my first water cooling setup soon, and would like some input...

CPU block: WhiteWater Poly-topped ($65)

GPU block: DangerDen Maze4 GPU ($48)
Haven't seen alot of GPU blocks, but the new DD one can't be too bad.

Pump: Hydor L30 ($50) / Danner Mag 3 ($45) DM 5 ($53) / Eheim 1250 ($70)
This one really gets me... I've heard all but good about Eheim, but the Hydor seems to outperform it slightly at $20 less, but if its not as reliable...

As for Danner Mag... I've seen alot of you here recommend the Mag 3 to others. anyone have input on a Danner Mag 5? That is still cheaper than an Eheim/Hydor but I have no idea what the heat/noise levels are.

Radiator: DTek Heat Core Pro Combo w/ shroud
I kinda considered tryin to pickup up a Chevette heatercore isntead, but decided that I'd pay for the convenience of a ready to use one. I'll probably use double shrouds w/ 2 120mm Panaflos.

Reservoir: BayRes ($25) or DangerDen ClearRes ($25)
BayRes is pretty convenient for placement, have heard minor issues Filling/bleeding it, anyone use the DD one? or can recommend another?

Would you recommend using brass barbs for everything or are plastic ones ok? a few parts come with the plastic ones.

Can i pickup some trusty hose clamps at Home Depot/Menards? I dont like the idea of plastic ones. I'll get some 1/2in ClearFlex tubing.

I'll probably use the zerex or Purple Ice and distilled water.

Is there a guide somewhere how to make all the connections secure? What type of silicon should I use?

Is this all I need? I know its alot of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

The plastic hose clamps are fine, plus they don't cut into the tubing when tightened. I use the Danner 3 and it is plenty of power for a w/c setup. You could use the Danner 5 but it will put more heat into the setup which you don't need. Don't use plastic barbs on anything IMHO, you can use brass or chrome, either one is fine, it's all preference and money. Also you don't have to use a reservoir unless you want to a T-line will work fine and uses less tubing and space. Some people say it messes with flowrate but thats up for debate.

personaly i ould go with the L30 hydro ( thats what i got) cause its smaller than the ehime 1250 also .
dont forget to get teflon plumbers tape also for threads of pump adapters.

Back