• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chev heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eckowear

Registered
Does this heater core come with 1/2 barbs from auto zone, or do we have to install them ourselves? How hard is it to install barbs on a heater core?

I think it comes with 5/8" ID ... you can cut off part of the existing barb and "solder" a barb to it ... what I did with my ford HC was sweat a copper elbow with a copper tube already sweated to it.

I used the 1976 Chevy impala/caprice heater core. I just JB welded the barbs into the tubes.

The Chevette heater core I have had one 1/2" and one 5/8".

But the larger one is swaged to 5/8"- about 2" from the end it also was 1/2".

I had planned on cutting them back anyway as they were too long....Perfect fit after the ends were cut to length- all modding needed was done. :)

Last edited:
What stryder said is true, all you have to do is heat the tubing in some boiling water and stretch it over the fitting. After it cools and molds to the fitting it is almost impossible to get off. ;)

Back