• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

taking off the mounting pads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

david97211

Registered
Has anyone tried to take off the four black tabs on the amd chip to try to get better heatsink contact? Or is the mounting presure so much that it wouldnt help. Just got to thinking.....

the four black mounting tabs run along the chip in order to keep the heat sink straight as well as make sure the heat doesn't apply to much pressure...why would you wanna take them off.....idon't think you would get better contact

I have had several AMD CPU and have never taken off the pads. The pressure applied by the retaining clip is sufficient for making good contact with the CPU.
I think taking off the pads will void the warranty, but of course we don't care about that :p

i did that once when i tried to make my own heat spreader on a xp 1700 that was like 50 bucks, it almost even worked. :p

Back