• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crap in maze4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telexen

While I've had my setup running outside my case to test it...I've noticed the buildup of some light-brown colored spots on the inside of the water block ... it was running just water so I figured maybe it was algee or something...so I emptied that part and let a mixture of distilled water and 5% antifreeze sit in it for a while...which did nothing for it. What is this stuff ...

note: in this picture the marks look more like just dirty drops of water...it looks nothing like water drops though, and the block is dry inside.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/269928/maze4.jpg

kinda...I'd really like to dig into the block and see if I can scrape some of it up though.

The thick poly top might be deluding it some though.

My water setup was sitting stagnant for the last week since my computer was down for repairs. I didn't bother draining it and ended up with a great deal of gung build up in the maze4. Last night I tried filling it with alcohol for a while which did zilch. So, I went ahead and pulled the poly top off of it (very easy with the supplied allen wrench). Tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and some Oxy Clean stuff, which also didn't work. So then I tried Barkeepers Friend (household cleansor) with a toothbrush and a green scrubber and it cleaned up nicely. Now the copper is a bright as the day I received it. Also, I tried running it before cleaning it out and my temps suffered by about 3 degrees.

did you fill it up, then drain it and leave it? if so, the water discolored it when it evaporated.

Jon

No it got this color while water was just sitting in it...not flowing.

AGH! now the same marks are on the outside of the O ring...a few millimeters away from it. This is weird...I'm concerned I won't get very good cooling from it.

cooling isnt gonna change with that little bit of tarnish, the maze3 I have is completely that color.

Jon

I´ve had also some black-brown spots inside the block too... we don´t have all those cleaning products here so I used some lemon mixed with water, and now the dirt is almost gone

I wish i had bought the copper top one tho :(

parallax said:
I´ve had also some black-brown spots inside the block too... we don´t have all those cleaning products here so I used some lemon mixed with water, and now the dirt is almost gone

I wish i had bought the copper top one tho :(
If im not mistaken you can buy new tops right? I think i saw them on DD when i ordered my Maze4 SHD. Anyways I can also see build up in my block too, its like white calcium lookin stuff. Im using Distilled water and Rit...should i add something else like antifreeze(10%)?

Clean copper block?

Dude it's simple MacGyver trick. Pour some white vinegar, lemon juice, and salt into a cup. Mix it up really well, and add some HOT water to the mix. Now pour this solution into the water block. Let it completely fill the block and let it sit in there for like 10-20 minutes. Then empty it out and flush it really well with some DISTILLED water. IT should look BRAND SPANKING NEW. You can also make more of this stuff and pour it into the radiator. Works like a charm.

if I cleaned it...would it help to add antifreeze to it? I'd like to avoid antifreeze because it's external, and I have quick disconnects that do leak a few drops (actually several drops) when they're disconnected

Back