• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

? about reservoir and filling the lines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScissorClaw

I'm setting up a water cooling rig with a Maze3 on the CPU and another WB on the GPU. I have a bay-res all ready to be used, but now I'm trying to decide if I really need it, or want it. Sure, it will look cool when I hook up the UV cathode and have the UV red-dye flowing, but is it REALLY neccesary?

Also, if I do not go with a reservoir, how would I fill the system. I have the the pump on the inside and then the input and output tubes go out the back through a couple of holes I dremeled to a BlackIce Xtreme II rad. I'm new to this, so I was wondering if I can just slide a t-connector in somewhere by the rad to fill up the lines. The rad, without the reservoir, is the highest piece of equipment in the loop, so I figure the xtra can be bled out at the t-conector also? is this correct thinking?

I preffer a reservoir...filling and bleeding is MUCH easier and MUCH faster.

If you don't want it though, all you need is a t-connector. Some people buy the premade ones you can turn on and off...when I wanted to test my setup but hadn't drilled holes for my reservoir (junction box) yet, I just bought a sprinkler system T-connector and put a 6" tube off the top and kept it pointing up

If I do go with the reservoir, I have to have that as the highest point in the loop, correct? Isn't that the best way to ensure that all the air can escape properly? Forgive if I seem like a n00b. When it comes to water cooling, I pretty much am. I figure this should be a great learning experience. However, my wife is ready to send me to Bellevue for a nice little evaluation:eek:

My reservoir isn't the highest point...it makes sense though. Obviously the larger bubbles will be pushed to the reservoir once the system is turned on...leave the hole you use for filling open to air can escape, and boom those big ones are gone in seconds...the little ones will eventually work themselves to the reservoir, where they will go quickly too.

Back