• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fish water theory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
This is a non computer related cooling question. I need answers by the end of the day ;)

I have someone interested in using a Thermotek water chiller for their salt water fish tank. I need to know how much below ambient the chiller can take the water. The tank is 125 gallon and the chiller specs are 225 watts heat load at ambient, 145 watts at 10c below ambient and 95 watts at 20c below ambient. How would I go about calculating below ambient temps for the 125 gallon tank?

The fish don’t produce much heat unless it’s a YATTA-FISH :eek:

Kinda like THIS thingy? It's not nearly as big, but it says 12F for a 50 gallon tank.

The tank is 125 gallon and the chiller specs are 225 watts heat load at ambient, 145 watts at 10c below ambient and 95 watts at 20c below ambient.

This doesn't seem right... Shouldn't it be 225W at 20c below ambient?

How would I go about calculating below ambient temps for the 125 gallon tank?

Wouldn't it be tank water temperature? It might take it awhile to get to 20c below ambient because thats a huge mass of water to cool.

225 watts is the heat load the chiller can keep at ambient. It can also keep 145 watts of load at 10c below ambient or 95 watts of load at 20c below ambient. If you were cooling a 95 watt athlon your water temp would be 20c below ambient.

The tiny chiller you showed me leads me to believe my chiller will be more than enough for his 125 gallon tank. That little chiller uses a single 50 watt TEC and my chillers use 10 55 watt TECs!

Although the fish aren't putting off any heat, there is quite a heatload on a fishtank. Lights, pumps, filters...are all adding to the problem, also ambient temps are higher than wanted for a sal****er tank. I don't think a tec is gonna do the job, most chillers for aquariums are pretty pricey though. Here's what I would take a look at converting for your needs:
Surplus Chiller

peace.
unloaded

BTW There's a pretty long thread about these in the Etreme Cooling Section.

Back