• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 w/ Thermaltake Smartfan II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkholy44

I currently have a rather loud cooling setup that works well, but I want to quiet it down a bit while still maintaining the cooling capabilities of my current rig. What I have right now is:

Chieftec Dragon Full Tower Case w/ 4 80mm case fans (2 front 2 rear)
420W Power supply w/ 2 fans
EPOX 8K5A3+ mobo
Athlon XP 1900+ w/ OCZ Dominator2 (7000RPM delta fan)
Leadtek Geforce4 4200
CD and HD

What I want to do is swap out the Dominator2 and put in a SLK800 w/ a Smartfan II, since that was a recommended combo in several previous posts. I just want to hear from some of the more experienced people out there as to if my proposed setup will serve me well. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You should use a fan speed controller on your case fans to quiet things down. I would use one as well, but I don't mind the noise.

BTW: The smart fan 2 w/slk800 would be good. Then you can use the rheo on the sf2 to quiet things down as well.

the 800 and a sf2 seems to be a very popular and effective combanation.

The sf2 is a very loud fan when at full power but pushes a good amount of air, ~75 CFM if I remember right. I used the 800/sf2 and it worked very well for me untill I got water, you will prbably see a good temp drop from switching also.

Any clue how this would compare to the slk800/smartfan2 combination? Noise wise it looks like the zalman wins hands down, but which will provide the best OC abilities.

Hmmm...I've heard that the Zalman cools P4s better than the SLK-900U. Now that they have one for the Socket A AMDs, I wonder how much better it will perform...

Holy crap, NM. I just saw the weight for that thing and it's 773g!!! That's at least 200g heavier than the SLK-900! There's no way I'd put that thing on my socket!

Nanidin said:
So you believe that 773g is too much?

Yes! If they added bolt-on support, like the SLK-900U, then it'd be fine, but having that thing attach to your socket, especially for ONLY ONE of the 3 lugs on each side, would probably put too much stress on it.

It looks liek the clip supports bolt onto the mobo then the hsf attachs to the clip supports that you install? Is that what you had in mind? It uses 4 bolts to connect to the mobo...

Nanidin said:
It looks liek the clip supports bolt onto the mobo then the hsf attachs to the clip supports that you install? Is that what you had in mind? It uses 4 bolts to connect to the mobo...

I don't know what you're talking about...please clarify a bit more.

From this image it looks like it only takes one of the lugs on each sode of the socket:

7000A3.gif

7000_socket_type2.gif

- Parts for AMD Athlon/Duron/Athlon XP (Socket 462)
7) Clip Support for Socket 462 - Type A (Blue)
8) Clip Support for Socket 462 - Type B (White)
9) Four (4) Bolts - For fastening the clip support 10) One (1) Sheet of Washers

It looks liek the clip supports are bolts to the mobo then the hsf is connected to the clip supports. Let me know what you think.

It looks good. Considering that it beat out the SLK-900U for P4s, I think it might beat it out for XPs as well. :)

Best way to cool a CPU quietly is stick a massive lump of heatsink on top of it (my preference is the Alpha PAL8045) and a stock 80mm Sunon fan. Pop a duct on the side of your case leading straight onto the heatsink fan, and put an exhaust fan on the back of the case. XP1700 running at 2GHz and a core temp of 37 degrees C:)

temps.jpg

Back