• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling south bridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

Hi guys my mobos (GA7VAXP) south bridge is getting hot too much and I'm thinking of placing a copper unit with a fan top of it. I've no idea how to gluse that unit into the chipset. Any ideas will be welcome. Currentley I've access to the heatsink compund but is that enough? I think something else also should be added to it to hold the copper unit. Once i put super glue and paste some heatsinks to the vga card and the bad thing is that glue when deep into the vram and burn the card(lol) but that is what experince for a beginner who want to experiment. Anyway I'd gladly welcome any ideas to my project.

I have used a small drop of superglue at opposite corners of S/Bridges before to good effect but you have to make sure that you dont have any HTC where the glue is as it can react and not provide a strong connection. Another method is Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive, but the drawback to that is you wont get it off very easily if you need to. You could try with a small amount of it at the corners like for the superglue and it might come off, but its strong stuff. Your last option is to use thermal tape, I have searched in the UK for this but cant find it, you may have more luck where ever you live.
Hood

Last edited:
I just stuck a sink on my VRX southbridge, I used thermal tape and white heatsink compound. What I did was put a thin strip of tape each side and thermal compound in the middle. I used an old 486 heatsink.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back