• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

critique on watercooling config...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmzguy

Registered
I have been trying to build the best watercooling config I can for around $300. So far what I've come up with is:

WaterBlock: Either a Danger Den Maze 4 @ $41 OR
a Dtek White Water @ $70 (is the almost $30 difference worth it? considering that I will have to sacrifice $30 elsewhere?)

Radiator: BlackIce Extreme 2 (the dual fan model) @ $100 or the BlackIce Extreme Rev 2 (single fan model) @ $65??
I've been told to go with the BlackIce Extreme 2 Dual fan, but again is it worth the extra $40?

(The BIG question, is it a better spent $40 extra to get the smaller radiator and the better waterblock, or is it better to get the bigger radiator and the worse performing waterblock?)

Pump: Finally, the pump, I have heard nothing but good things about the EHEIM pumps and was considering an EHEIM 1250 @ $65, or maybe the EHEIM 1048, or the EHEIM 1046 because it supports 12V molex connectors...

Do they make a version of the 1250 that has molex connectors? Is it worth it to pay for having the molex connectors? I don't want to forget to turn on my pump and fry my Processor...

More Pump: I have been considering a Hydor L30, it has a higher GPH rating then the 1250 and is only $50!! (is it as reliable? does it put more heat into the water?)

I only have a midtower, and am going to be a little tight on space, and was also wondering if getting a reservior is really necessary/desirable, I know it makes filling and bleeding a whole lot better... BUT space COULD become an issue..

It looks like you are looking at some very good options.

Waterblock: I would go with the D-tek White Water. It is one of the best performing blocks on the market, and for $70 it is truly a steal.

Pump: I have an Eheim 1250 and I love it. It is quiet and it seems to be pretty sturdy. It doesnt put off too much heat either. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Hydor L30 also, but I dont have one and cant really recommend it since I have no experience with it. I do know that the Hydor is a lot smaller than the Eheim, and if you have very little space it may be in your best interest to go smaller.

Radiator: Why not go to your local auto parts store, pick up a 1987 Chevy Chevette heatercore, then go to K-mart pick up some Tupperware containers, and make a shroud for it with the tupperware? There is a guide to do this here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146856 and it is very cheap. Heatercore: $20 all the things for a shroud: $6 2 120mm fans: $22, or less.

yea, your problem cost-wise is the radiator you have chosen... you could save so much if you just bought a heatercore and put in a little elbow grease...

and if you dont want to do that, get the dtek heatercore over the BIX

You also can get you tubing pretty cheap from US plastics Corp. Here is the link: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ Go to the tubing section, the the vinyl tubing. Look for the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD and 1/8" thich walls. That is pretty much the equivalent of Clearflex 60. It goes for like $.34/ft...while the clearflex goes for like $1.50/ft at dangerden.

Your big money problems are solved by avoiding the Black Ice radiators and getting the heater core :)

Makes the White Water an easy choice- and even if it wasn't an easy choice I would say it is worth 3$0 more than the DD block.
There is only one block better than WW, and it costs about $100...

The tubing: I have no experience with Tygon or ClearFlex, but I have used cheapo vinyl- it kinks easily. I would say go with the ClearFlex, but if that vinyl that USP has 1/8" vinyl that really doesn't kink.....Well, that's up to you.

Get the heater core and you can afford Tygon if you want :D

What are the dimensions of the heatercore??
I only have a midtower and I DO have some space limitations....

Dmzguy

Back