• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-[Direct Contact Water cooling]-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenji

Registered
A good water blocks cost alot, and direct contact beats them in preformance and can be done for alot less. And I am really shot on cash so i am considering this. Any advice? experience? Tips?

there was a huge thread a while ago where pepsi had an awesome direct die cooling pics up. Just make sure it doesn't leak and make sure you nailpolish the bridges.

yeah, I didd it, worse temps than the maze3 and most other blocks. It needs extreme jet inpingment like cathars cascade block woudl work awesome, but your looking for a dead cpu anyway you go, I killed an awesome 1600+ that could break 2ghz easily with a good psu

Jon

It's not a given that the exposed die of a CPU is non-permeable. Direct die cooling can kill P3's and Athlons, possible others as well, AFAIK.

Top Hat Theater said:
How the heck does direct die cooling work anyway? I'd love to see pics as I can't mentally imagine it.

~THT

It's just like normal watercooling, but then without the bottom plate of the waterblock. The bottomless block is sealed to the cpu and the water is in direct contact with it.

Not to say it's impossible, but you're going to have a .001% chance of getting it to work for 5 min, let alone for 5 months.

Let's face the cold hard fact. I ahte making assumptions, but the simple trueth is that if the vet's success rate is 50% or less, I hold you with no chance of having it right.
Now I'll spot you that you learn very fast and you'll kill only one CPU.

You've allready spent more money replacing that than a top end block costs.

There are several ways to cut costs and get more into DIY when it comes to cooling. However the line that should never be crossed IMHO is reliability.

I don't keep track of them, but I also can't name you any DD cooling project I've heard of that lasted a year... Can anyone else?

Oh yeah I forgot =)

What differance dose it make if it's permiable or not? Nearly all DD CPU's fail in relitively short order(compaired to other means) so what differance dose it make what kills them? I think unless you come up with a revolutionary step noone else has come up with that fixes all the associated problems, just drill you out a waterblock for less than $15... You'd wind up spending more on a DD project than that anyways.

Back