• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arguments against WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcg23

Registered
I have searched on this forum and on google for reasons not to WC.
The only thing that comes to mind when I think of WC is that WC does not cool everything.
There are components that needs to be cooled but there is no way to cool them using water.
So to me, WC is not a replacement to air cooling, just an addon, you still have to have air running through the radiator atleast.
I would also imagine that you still need a decent amount of airflow to move air through the dead spots in the case where heat will sit and bake.
Also, does WC really make a system quiter be reducing the amount of fans needed?

I'd appreciate any feedback..
-TheComputerGuy23

Water cooling can be far superior to aircooling. Notice the word 'can'. If you go for a wimpy kit, your results may be worse than high end aircooling. Watercooling is only as quiet as the fans you use, this is true. You will always need good circulation of air in the case to cool resistors and mosfets etc. But, you could watercool the CPU, GPU, NB, PSU and hard drives if you really wanted to. Usually the loudest fan in any machine is the one on the CPU. If you choose to cool your rad with 2 120mm fans you can get some that are dead silent and still do an excellent job at cooling. Then all you need are some quiet case fans.

wc makes a system much quieter becuase of the need for less, and less powerful fans. Of course you still need air circulating, BUT there is not much flow needed, as long as something is moving the air.

I am thinking about water cooling my new pc that I am going to build.
I have a server case picked out which has enough room for WC.
Is dangerden a good place to get all your waterblocks from?
For what it's worth I've read maximum pc's 'guide' to WC.

More feedback will be appreciated..
-TheComputerGuy23

If you want the best of the best, contact Cathar for his Cascade block. Be warned though, it's expensive. Personally, I'd get stuff from dtekcustoms.com as they're the mass producers of Cathar's White Water block which performs almost as well as the Cascade and better than anything else.

~THT

Also, on the ram of a video card, other than custom pipes, what can be done?
Speaking of ram, that doesn't even have to be touched with any cooling other than moderate air flow over the ram, right?

Here's the specs for the system I am looking at building.

Black Mini Cube Case, it's the size of two mid towers next to each other.
Intel P4 2.4C with the 800mhz FSB
Chaintech 9CJS Zenith I875 Chipset mobo
(4) Samusung 256mb ddr3200 (400mhz dual channel)
Samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM
ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro

I will be running 6 hard drives.
1x40gig IDE and 5xUltra SCSI HD's at 2.1gb each..
is there a way to WC 6 HD's when they are close to each other?
WCing the HDD's might not be nessecary because they sit right infront of 2x92mm exhaust fans, the hdd's go on the back end of the case.
if you want pictures of the case, look here:http://directron.com/yy0221bk.html
Also, my plans at first were to have a total of 8 fans in the pc, to cool it. WCing would be nice, I'd just need to look at the cost.

Thanks,
-TheComputerGuy23

I mounted a 92mm fan on the back of my vid card when I wced it.
It keeps the ram sinks nice and cool- cooler than when it was stock :D

You can use plastic paper clips or bobby pins.

Ack!

If you haven't already paid for the case, I have a suggestion... :)

http://store.yahoo.com/dealsonic/codsclasserc.html

The S-201 is a much nicer case. I own the YY, got cramped really quickly. I replaced it with the S-201's little brother (the A9891) and it's really nice. If I'd known about the S-201, I'd a gotten it instead. It's not much more money, but it's a gazillion times better case. The YY also has cabling issues.

Alternatively, the Lian-Li PC70 can be a really good case.

could you provide me with some reviews and or the mfg website for that case?
I only found one review for the case and it was not very detailed.
I also could not find the mfg's website.
I would appreciate it, I am looking at the case but I don't think I need anything that big.
I will have one optical drive, 5 SCSi drives, and one ide drive.
I do like the fact that the motherboard chamber is more cooled than on the YY.
The YY has one 120mm intake which is blocked off by the front of the case, I would hack some side intakes in it, and I would be good to go.
If I can find some more information on the case, I might get it instead of the YY.

At this point I am researching, I am going to buy everything at once, once I pick out and finalize what I want.
Thanks,
-TheComputerGuy23

The case is actually manufactured (I believe) by Chenbro, the A9791. It is the next one up from the A9891. www.caseoutlet.com has the case as well as some decent pics, but they want a LOT more money for it ($305 vs. $171).

I first heard of the case on www.2cpu.com, it got very positive remarks, but I've never seen an actual review.

I have the next one down (the A9891) and I'm quite happy with it. I did, however, do a lot of modding to it. The A9891 had a pair of 92mm fans up front/left in fansy plastic fan holders. Out came the hole saw and voila, it now has two 120mm fans that fit a BIX2 perfectly. I also added to 120mm fans to the side pannel and mounted a large transmission cooler for the drives. I drilled two 1/2" holes to route tubing from the left half of the case to the right half, mounted pumps, and switched the power supply orientatiuon to make the cables easier to reach. I even removed that rediculousc card slot retention bar to make it easier to route tubing and the support strut on the 5 1/4" bays to make it easier to route drive tubing.

I paid more for my A9891 from Newegg than they are charging for the S-201 (whcih is really a A9791). Believe me, I would get the A9791 in a heart beat over the A9891. Bigger IS better.

I have a YY cube, and know people who have bought them. At first, I was happy with it, albeit routing cables was a bear. but the dang thing is all but designed to keep heat inside, and it's cramped. So when it came time to build my next computer, it wasn't an option. That's why I chose the A9891 for my latest behemoth, and if I had it to do over again, I would definitely have gotten that S-201.

I re-read your equipment list and saw you won't be running Xeons with your drives. If you only have a regular P4 motherboard, you can use just about any case. There really isn't any need to spend over like $50 on a case that will work fine for you. A big full tower would hold the drives, radiator, everything.

The big expensive cases are for people with oversized motherboards. My DP533-S is 12"x13" (frik'n HUGE) and it won't fit in most cases. The manufactures know they have us by the short hairs, so they charge a fortune for cases that fit the big boards.

Save some money, buy a full tower for like $50, and spend the money you save on getting a bigger SCSI array (you mentioned the SCSI drives were only 2.1GB each, and you can get 73GB Maxtor Atlas II drives for a song, now that no body likes them anymore. I've seen them for like $150).

Thanks for your insight wormwood, the only reason I am running SCSI is because I got the drives for free and the controller cost 20 bucks.
I've never worked with SCSI before, so it will be a learning experience.
I don't want a full tower, I like the YY case. It's the height of a mid tower but twice as wide. The case has great air cooling potential. I'm not going WC. I was contemplating it, but I have made my decision.
Thanks!
-TheComputerGuy23

Back