• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out this Flow Meter.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did see a flow meter that had a large fan-type-thing inside to show flow. I saw it in someones pics but I'm not sure of the company but I know its out there.

wannaoc said:
I did see a flow meter that had a large fan-type-thing inside to show flow. I saw it in someones pics but I'm not sure of the company but I know its out there.

You must mean this little thing here.

Yeah!

That looks definetly serious BaD CrC !!

It also looks like it could give dependable numbers too.
I.E. numbers that can be translated into real flow volume.

It is unfortunate that Inovatek doesn't make a less restictive model. I like the idea of being able to moitor flow, but not at the expense of big headloss.

DIY Flow Meter

If all you want is to compare relative flow rates (or that you have any!) in your own system, here is a low $ DIY system. This is an idea I've had a long time, and haven't had the opportunity to build.

In simple terms, put a propeller (small, hobby type) in the flow, and monitor it's RPM via IR emitter-detector pair.

The easiest way to do this is inside a reservoir, particularly those cylindrical ones. Find or build/modify a plastic hobby propeller with a diameter a little smaller than the rez' ID. Place it on an axle (stainless, brass, or plastic) between the inlet and outlet barbs. Use a light source and sensor to monitor the spinning blade. IR pairs work well. I'm sure someone here can provide an op-amp circuit that will effectively deliver the signal to a fan speed header.

Take this idea to an inline setup: use a small, clear tube, with end-caps and end-barbs.

Back