• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

92mm tornado+slk900u VS volcano 11+ xaser edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

i want a REALLY good air cooling set-up for my upcoming rig (nf7-s rev2 and a 2500+) which i will OC. here is the 1st option ive researched:

the slk900u w/the 92mm vantec tornado. i would definately have to get the nexus fan controller with it. this would cost a total of about $85. if i replace the tornado with a smart fan II, what perfomance difference would there be?

the 2nd option ive researched is:

the thermaltake volcano 11+ xaser edition. this is only $35 and it comes with a fan contoller, but only for the hsf, not case fans as well.

what kind of performance should i expect from each set-up (in an antec sonata w/2 120 mm fans) and what are their advantages? with this in mind, which would i be better off getting? also, if not one those, what would u recommend?

thermaltake=somewhat good
thermalright=really really good
11c difference in temp between my slk-800a and volcano 9...does that tell you anything, I used the smart fan 2 on both and had the fan running at 3500 rpm on the thermalright and full blast 4800rpm on the V9

i run the absolute best thermaltake, the volcano7+, the slk will be better than that, let alone a volcano 11. the slk900 with a 92mm tornado is probably the absolute best air cooling you can buy

with the tornado tho, id use the fan controller to keep at near silent volumes when not in use, or light use....then crank it up during games (id be wearing headphones so the noise from the fan wouldnt matter). is the tornado overkill? would the smart fan II be better for it and doesnt it come with a build in fan controller?

at full blast they are both over the top. the one thing to consider is that the smart fan comes with a fan controller, the tornado needs you to buy one. but thermaltake products are not well loved around here, they have a less than stellar working reputation. thier fans are made by evercool(i think), not the best fans

i was also asking myself this question. but with my economy, i'll go for the tt volcano 11. maybe with a bigger fan later etc. delta. and i dont think the slk-900 get any room on my motherboard then i have hard time putting on a 80 mm hs

for the slk900u should i go with the smart fan II for practicalilty or the vantec tornado for power?

"for the slk900u should i go with the smart fan II for practicalilty or the vantec tornado for power?"
Tornado.

i''d definately opt for the TT SF2 over the Tornado any day.

Once you add in the cost of the tornado and the fan controller, it becomes seriously expensive when compared to the TT.

The temp difference you will see between the two will be extremely marginal. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 1-2C.

If you've got money burning a hole on your pocket, opt for the Vantec --- paired with a controller it IS better. Now it is up for you to decide whether the price increase is worth that 1-2C.

isnt there a fan controller built into the smart fan II? if so, how does it work and is it easy to access? also, what range of control does it allow? and at rpms the same as the tornado, will it be more quiet?

"Once you add in the cost of the tornado and the fan controller, it becomes seriously expensive when compared to the TT."
Who needs a fan controller when you want low temps?

"Who needs a fan controller when you want low temps?"

who wants low temps when the fan noise is so loud computer use becomes unbearable? u dont realize how loud 50+ decibals is...

"who wants low temps when the fan noise is so loud computer use becomes unbearable? u dont realize how loud 50+ decibals is..."
I have an 80mm 7000RPM fan in my 200w Delta PSU, and I use this:
210703-britney.gif
BTW, it works really good.

The TT SFII comes with a Rheostat or a temp probe.

The reostat is a simple control, does not have a faceplate or anything to make it look super fancy. You can route it out the back of the case (there are several spots you can do this), or through a vent somewhere.

I ran the wire through the fan grille, made sure not to pinch it too tight when I screwed the fan down, and it rests at the top of my case. Looks like it was made to be there.

The rheostat allows you to adjust the fan throughout the entire range. Anywhere from about 2500rpm (silent) - 5500rpm (pretty loud).

At full blast it is nowhere near as loud as a screaming 92mm tornado, but still manages to put out good airflow that is centered toward the CPU core.

Back