• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK-7 install - help a newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nasdaq

Hope someone can asnswer this newbie question for me. I am installing a SK-7 heatsink on a AMD processor and just noticed that when I peel off the film protective layer off the bottom of the SK-7 it's sticky. Is that supposed to be like that or am I to wash that off the bottom of the SK-7?

Mine came with that too. It took a hell of a long time to get it off. Even alcohol and scrubbing didn't get all of it. It eventually came off during the lapping procedure, but I sure didn't appreciate it.

If you're not going to use arctic silver or any other thermal interface stuff, keep it on.

If you plan on lapping and using AS3, get it off of there.

-silver

try it, but since its pretty much also alcohol and agnitrate didn't have much luck.

i have the same heatsink. I dont remember having that when i got it. As far as i know it was perfect for me. If i were you i would use nail polish remover (make sure it has acetone) and then use alcohol.

Eventually you will wan to lap it. That means getting a sheet of something like 600 grit sand paper and sanding down the bottom until its really smooth.

Back