• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 still champion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

I have a new 1700 insane OC system I'm building and want to use air for this one. I was just curious if the AX-7 is still the reigning champ of air coolers or if something else better has come down the pike. And of course if so a link to said cooler. Thank you for your advice as always.

Im still using an ax-7 on my 1700+ :D. The newer SLK-900 by thermalright is probably the best aircooler out there. thermalright.com. You know, the same people that makes the ax-7. Nice to see you back-havent seen you in a while. :)

Turd, What exactly are those temps? And skiing squirrel, I've been around but have participated more in the smp/video card section lately but I'm getting that "itch" again to build a dedicated gaming system :D

I still have my AX-7 sitting in my drawer waiting for future use, I just replaced it with an slk-800, tempts dropped a little bit only cause im on a tbred a now not an agoia y pally. So if I were you, I would just stick with the ax-7, great cooler.

Anyone switch from an ax-7 to a slk800/900 without changing any other variables? And have the temp difference..

I'm using my ax-7 again since i switched back to air cooling. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a slk800 .... :D

AX-7 is awesome I bought it about a year ago and it keeps my moderate overclock really nice.

I'd say maybe get the slk-900u but if you don't want to spend the big bucks just get the AX-7.

the sk-7 is ment as the direct replacement for the ax-7 and performs slightly better - its available for about $23 from what i've heard. then theres the slk-800, i have one- check my sig for temps. After that, the slk-900. But that performance so closly to the 800 that it isnt worth bothering with i dont think.

I have two excellent heatsinks-
AX-7
SLK-800

The slk-800 is a bit better: 1 or maybe 2 c.
The 900s probably have the potential for about the same improvement so 2 to 4c better than an AX-7. Estimated of course ;)

One of those goal/money question. :)
If you want simply the BEST you have to be willing to pay quite a bit for a relatively small improvement. But the SLK-900 series is tops.

If extremely good is close enough- and you want to save a few $$$ wherever possible then an SLK-800, SK7 or AX-7 are all very close in performance and if you can find them, should be quite a bit less.

Not to hijack the thread but I recently acquired a slk-800a for cheap and I am wondering if a 24cfm panaflo will work well?

I've already got an sk-7 on my desk but it has the top half of a TI4400 GPU glued to it for those who may remember that thread. I still need to break out the belt sander to get that off. If it works as well as you all say it does then I'll just stick with it for now.

I hear the 800's like higher CFM's. Since I have an ax-7 and kinda in the same boat as a few people here, I been looking at Swifttech's MCX462+™. It can fit a 92mm fan on there. Bigger fan=more CFMs@lower noise levels. :D

You can fit a 92mm fan onto an SLK800, too. Both the swifty and Thermalright definitely like high airflow. The SLK800 performs around .04 C/W better than an AX7 with comparable airflow. This means that under a 100W heatload, the AX7 will run about 4C higher than the SLK800. The difference will increase with more heat. Whether the difference actually matters or not depends on how high the processor will be overclocked. For example, an AX7 may take a 1700+ to the high 2.4's, and in this case, the SLK800 would be expected to get the last 100mhz out of the processor. Here is a comparison between a Vantec Aeroflow, SK7, and SLK800. The AX7 would fall in between the Aeroflow and SK7.

Sorry for the late reply.

I have about a 6*C temp change going from my AX7 to the SLK900. The reason being is that the hot air is being pushed up into my PSU and also down towards my video card.
My Antec PSU has a fan at the bottom of it so any hot air gets pulled directly up into the PSU.
My Chieftec case has 2 Panaflo L1A fans doing exhaust work. As the hot air gets pushed down, its also gets exhausted through the fans.

These temps are measured from speedfan. Before and after results. I only have 2 case fans, 2 PSU fans, and my SLK fan.
The SLK900 is worth it IMO.

i just got my slk900 today and i've dropped 9*C.

the only changes:
- there was dust in the ax7
- using AS ceramique instead of AS3

i'm really happy with this thing. and i might try a delta 92mm 100cfm, that i've got doing blowhole duty, on it tomorrow. (instead of my 80mm tornado)

Back