• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crunkedup

Registered
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and i have a p4 thats overclocked to 3.2. Memory has been overclocked and everything is running great. But, I'm having problems with temperatures rising real quick, since I'm at 3.2, my OEM fan is no longer enough for cooling the CPU, especially when im playin games or watchin movies.

Now I have this new interest in watercooling. But I would have to think this over twice before purchasing a water cooling kit. First of all, i have a few questions and i hope someone can help me out...

1) Would water cooling really cool things down (is it worth it)

2) Is water cooling quieter than fan?

3) What exactly are the parts/components of the cooling system?

4) ARe there any risks using water cooling? (hose leaks that may soak everything in that case)

5) is it easy to install a water cooling kit? do you recommend iit or should i have someone do it for me. To let ya know, i do have computer knowledge. I have built computers before from scratch, but never did i experience water cooling or anything, so any tips here and there would be great. Thanks alot guy

crunkedup said:
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and i have a p4 thats overclocked to 3.2. Memory has been overclocked and everything is running great. But, I'm having problems with temperatures rising real quick, since I'm at 3.2, my OEM fan is no longer enough for cooling the CPU, especially when im playin games or watchin movies.

Now I have this new interest in watercooling. But I would have to think this over twice before purchasing a water cooling kit. First of all, i have a few questions and i hope someone can help me out...

4) ARe there any risks using water cooling? (hose leaks that may soak everything in that case)

5) is it easy to install a water cooling kit? do you recommend iit or should i have someone do it for me. To let ya know, i do have computer knowledge. I have built computers before from scratch, but never did i experience water cooling or anything, so any tips here and there would be great. Thanks alot guy

To put it simply.
1.Yes
3.WaterBlock,Heater core,Pump,tubing,distilled water, hose clamps.
2.Its as quiet as your fans. Watercooling is totally silent w/o fans but fans add noise.
4.Yes risk comes with everything, even sleeping. its easier to crush your core with a HS than a WB IMO. USE HOSE CLAMPS!
5.Very EZ.

Dont buy a kit, put together your own.
Please use the search button, i dont mean to sound like an *** but these questions have been answered 10^1,000 times. And Watercooling is just straight up COOL:) No pun intended(or is there??)

Thanks for the info

but again, is it worth it? i mean, you have a Xp 2000 right there, why would you install WC on it when it never heats up?

anyway, not judgin you but is there any other reason to have WC other than cooling your CPU down? thanks

Water cooling comes in more than one flavor, you can use it to be silent (this gives you about the same temps but more stable) and the extreme cooler, when you can get better and more stable temps than air and it can be used in conjunction with a TEC. It is safe if you do it right and take your time and research all the parts out for yourself read up in the water cooling section and check out www.overclockers.com for reports on some parts you will need

no it doesnt. I have a xp 2000 with an OEM fan and a few fans around the case. i keep the pc on for days and days and play many games, the cpu never heats up

thats what amd is known for

Water cooling kits are ok.....but performance is pretty much in the same league as top notch Air cooling- which means miles past any OM stuff. ;)

To get the max cooling performance from water cooling you will want to put your own system together: that way YOU decide which compromises to make. :D

If you really want to maximize your stable overclocks, build your own and don't make compromises on performance parts- this can get expensive though...
$60-80 for pump
$100 for CPU block (Cascade)
$25 for Chevette heater core (until Copyman's stuff gets tested and is available, anyway :D)
about $10 for 1/2" tubing1 Tee and some metal clamps
$15 per Fan- you may have some, otherwise get big 120mm units- two for rad and one or two for case.
$25 Sunbeam Rheobus (to adjust fan speed/noise levels)
Total: $275 for a system with 4 fans and uncompromised performance.
(All figures in USD)

Only things that will get better temps use pelts, refrigeration (chillers, phase change, air conditioners) or other extremely rare custom cooling.

For about half that you can get a system that is within 5c- and still beats the kits that cost $200, usually by 3 to 5c or so.

Up to you: potential is there- a water cooling system that has the same level of noise as an air cooling system will be MUCH more powerful.
120mm fans are quieter than 80 or 90s and move more air. Add the rheobus and you can vary the noise/performance level.
See above list for a basic system, and see guide.
Yes. But if you use hose clamps and do a good job building the system, risks are minimal. Even if the system does get wet it does NOT mean that all is lost, either! Many have been resurrected without loss.
5) is it easy to install a water cooling kit?
Yes, no- sometimes.
do you recommend iit or should i have someone do it for me. To let ya know, i do have computer knowledge. I have built computers before from scratch, but never did i experience water cooling or anything, so any tips here and there would be great.
Install it yourself- although there are complete cases available as well.

But if you design and install it yourself you WILL learn more about water cooling than just plugging in even something decent like Corsair's external rig.

Doing your own does force you to do some research and work, but you end up knowing a LOT more about the concept and end up with better performance, a quieter system and maybe more money in your pocket.

Well i did water cooling cause i was hitting like 55-50c idle and even higher under loads(air cooling), also i have a Palmino core and from what I understand they run alot hotter than a tbred or barton. At those temps my pc was locking up once and awhile and now it never locks up and runs alot cooler @ 40-39idle and 43-45 load. To me it also seems like things just run smoother in general and when i get my 9800 Pro things will be ALOT smoother:clap:

Hey rogerdugans, thanks alot man. That was very useful info. Just reading your reply gave me a general idea about all this. To the rest of you that posted a reply, I also thank you for your help. This thread may be closed, but kept for good research for future newbies like me. Thanks alot, im lovin the forums already!

Back