• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan overvolting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

I read somewhere that overvolting a fan doesn't damage it, but I'd like to get some more opinions. Firstly, how safe is it in terms off the fan heating producing more heat plus the fact that it's spinning faster than it was built for, and how detrimental is it to the fan in terms of life span?

Hope this isn't too shallow a topic for the deep end of the pool forum. :)

It depends on how much faster you run it...

You can give a lightbulb more voltage (overvolt it) and it will burn brighter, but it will also burn out sooner.
If you on the other hand give it too much voltage it'll burn out very fast!

I have overvolted some fans, but I have never used them 24/7 with to much voltage, so I can't really say for sure.
But my guess would be that you can run them faster within reason.

Just like overvolting your CPU...

Someone should take one of those 120mm deltas and run them at like 36volts........be so loud.

Finken: Thanks for the advice. I also found the link where I first got this idea. http://www.overclockers.com/tips808/

sandman: See, that was one of my concerns. A little overvolting might not be bad, but do it that much and I'd be afraid of the fan blades breaking off. ;) And if not, it would suck the components out of any case. :D

Fan blades can hit 35k rpm if they are a good quality plastic (ever see the Dremel-powered fan?)

I don't think that RPM will be an issue, just heat generated inside the motor due to the bigger eddy currents and more current flowing through the windings.

It completely depends on which fan you're going to overvolt, and by how much. You'd probably get a lot better results with a higher quality fan.

I can tell you that Delta 120mm 12volt fan can withstand 26+v BUT smells bad. :p

L337 M33P said:
Fan blades can hit 35k rpm if they are a good quality plastic (ever see the Dremel-powered fan?)

They're not going to hit 35K even with a dremel. But they can most certainly withstand as many RPM's as that fan motor can handle.

Be warned... too much energy could cause the capacitors on the fan to pop. Or it could make the mosfets on them overheat. Or it could burn the shellac off the copper wire and short the fan.

Also, if you attach a fan to the -12V line, you're really risking a lot. That line is only able to handle 0.5A. Some of the fans out there can use over 1A of power! There's no telling how much you could damage your computer if you pumped extra power in and made a -12V line go to +X.XV.

Back