• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my uber mosfets =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

i just cut up an amd heat sink and ground it down a bit with my super cool colbalt carbide dremel tip =)
ok info is nf7-s v2.0 board and i used an amd stock cpu HSF that came with a tbred-b 2700 .
so i cut it down and ground it so that it wouldnt touch the capacitors or any coils .
i then used arctic silver apoxy ( this stuf drys very very fast and you have to be very careful not to get any on the board)

remember to wear goggles because aluminum chips in the eye mean no more sight and since my wife is hot i would be disapointed to loose my sight .(though it would give me a reason to invent brail playboy)

Last edited:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Last edited:
Ya those are real sweet........good thing too with the AS epoxy, they won't be comin off.

Does this help overclock?

:p

well theory says that it will reduce heat which makes power just a little more stable and predictable so if your cpu power has less noise then it should .(noise as in line noise or power warble )

MassiveOverkill said:
Nice job there :thup:

Good work.

Maybe you could look around for infra-red (IR) images of your board during operation. Such pictures can reveal unexpected hotspots on the board- prime candidates for more custom heatsink work.

I've been considering doing this myself. After seeing what a great job you did here, I'm inspired to do the same. Great craftsmanship
Thorilan.

Problem is, you mounted the heatsink to the plastic part of the MOSFETs, which means the heatsink won't work very effectively.

star882 said:
Problem is, you mounted the heatsink to the plastic part of the MOSFETs, which means the heatsink won't work very effectively.
yeah man my friend put mosfet heatsinks on his 8rga+ and the heatsinks worked so well that he had to put a fan on them cause they got too hot

max

I've seen mosfets get so hot that they've unsoldered themselves and still worked. The unit did'nt though obviously. Those things can take some serious heat.

I wish i could cool my mosfets like that, but on my mobo they're not aligned, i would have to cut small heatsinks for each one of them. Anyway, that's a great job there!

Back