• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing copper and aluminium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The copper will be fine but the aluminum will corode like a motha:p

Jaydee116 says that without any anticorosive stuff, a block will start to corode in a week, but with it, youll start to see it in a month, but its pretty good otherwize.

I would not suggest using an aluminum radiator or anything with thin walls thats aluminum. It could corode right through.

I am thinking about getting ahold of an aluminum radiator and testting it against my copper radiator because suposily the copper one isnt copper, its brass. I have to look into it more in depth.

Jon

It will increase the corrosion, yes, but all is not lost for a mixed alu/cu setup. If you use a proper anti-corrosion agent like water wetter, and if you make sure the exposed alu surface (for example an alu top on a waterblock) is well anodized, it should last pretty well.

Back