• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want an EZ H2O cooling system-> look here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Ok, there are often many posts about wanting to build a system without researching components- I will tell you what to get right here. (Since prices change and availability is not consistent I will NOT post links to where to get the parts!)

You need:
Water block- best is Cascade, next is White Water.

Pump- Eheim 1250 The reputation they have is there for a reason

Radiator- Chevette heater core. Best performance unless you spend over a hundred bucks- and I'm not sure about that yet (still waiting for reviews.)

Tubing- 1/2" ClearFlex

Reservoir- stop it! Use a T-Line. get one Tee fitting and a rubber plug for the top of it.

Fans- use two 120mm fans on the radiator in push/pull. Make your own shrouds.

Use a few ounces of car antifreeze mixed with distilled water to fill the system.

There, now you know what parts will make you an excellent
water cooling system.
Of course, you don't know WHY they are good, but if you wanted to know WHY you'd want to do the research and learn, right? ;):D

If you don't want to learn but just want to Buy stuff, believe me, the above list WILL get you a system that is better than any kit or pre-configured system for sale by anyone.

I object to the T-line thing. I think that F&B is much easier on a res, and since most of these people are first timers, it would save a bunch of hassle.

I really don't understand how filling and bleeding a T-line could be considered difficult. I'm a first timer, and I had no problems. It couldn't have been simpler. A res would restrict flow a bit, not to mention take up a lot space. That's one thing that I'd rather not deal with as a newbie.

There are also plenty of other good choices are far as pumps go, though. Danners especially, Maxi-jets, and modded Via Aquas work very well also, at a fraction of the cost of an Eheim.

I agree with everything that is said. I just got done building my first system and these are the parts I used...works very well. One thing that I would include in there roger is the link to tupperware shroud assembly guide that was put up by WetWilly, it may help with "How do I build a shroud" questions.

One other suggestion would be a link to the Little River Waterblocks homepage. They arent quite as easy to find as D-tek and DangerDen. Cathar also provides a link to the D-tek site in there for the White Water since it was taken over by them.

STICKY!!!!!! :D

AND, want a cheap an EZ water chilling system? CLICK HERE!! http://www.overclockers.com/tips1008/

thanks to Doug Getgood for making this great article!!

and

S!!!!!!!

T!!!!!!!!

DOUBLE I !!!!!!!!

C!!!!!!!!!!!

K!!!!!!!!!!!

Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stickys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND, THANKS TO rogerdugans for making this great thread!!!

boy i think i hate too many M&M's he he

Yep, this is great! Should help those who want to get started.
I could have used this about a year ago!! lol

There's a another shroud article worth a mention not as easy as the tupperware one but still good
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1022/

As for pumps i agree with eheim as it's more available to WCers that don't live in the US like me. It's either hydor or eheim and eheim i believe is more reliable.

STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or else noobs will ask again.
Realistically will ask again anyway.

Later

lol, actually I am building a wc system for my dual xeons; entertained the thought of using cather's cascade/WW, but i think it'll end up being too much trouble for too little gain. Just wondering, but any suggestions for mounting the pump in the case? :)

Hey everyone I am running a P4 3.0C @ 3.5Ghz on stock with idle temp of 42C and full load of 53C I am intrested in watercooling because these temps are ugly. I was thinking the corsair hydrocool because its the best prebuilt external system according to what I have read but many have suggested building my own. I am using a Thermaltake Xaser 2040A or osmething like that and it is a really big *** case. I am not sure if a internal system wil lfit or if I should buy the hydro cool. I have no idea how to make my own if anyone here has any suggestions please let me know

Back