• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznchaos

I was on the internet on my main computer and i started to smell something like plastic burning so i turned it off right away. I went to look and i saw smoke but i dont know from were. I kept it off for a while then turned it back on and went to the bios. My cpus temp was 44 but i started to smell it again so i truned it off. The only thing i did to the comp today was put some plastic tubing on and did some wire management. The xp 2400+ is overclocked to at 2.25 ghz for a week or two and never smelled anything. Im scared to turn on the comp rite now. I dont now what it can be.

I'd open the PSU and check it out. Also check the ATX connector. I've heard of a couple of instances of it melting when not connected properly.

but if i open the psu would i get electricuted. it might be the atx connector becuase i was mssing with it.

Well, I didn't say to touch anything inside it. Just take a peek and make sure nothing's melting.

First I'd suggest pulling it out and examing it carefully. Make sure that its not warped in any way. Check the motherboard's connector, too. If its all all right, then just connect it firmly.

you said you put in some plastic tubing, check to make sure its not touching anything hot...

i checked the atx conector and there were no signs of melting but i think the smoke was coming from that area.

i havent opened the psu yet. but i dont think smoke was coming from there.

Check all of your molexes. Check the area where the wire connects to the plastic part, wiggle them around a lil to make sure they haven't melted with the plastic part they are inserted into. Do the same for you motherboard connector. Make sure the are around each wiring isn't melting the plastic part of the connector.

whats a molex? I turned the comp on again and it smelt like its come from either my dvd drive or cd burner.

The molex connectors are the generic connectors that are used for hard drives and CD-ROM drivers. This could very well be the problem.

thanks for the help everyone. Ill try to solve the problem and get back to you.

another thing to try is to disconnect them both and see if the smell persists, if not plug one in and see if it happens, if not plug in the second one. that way the choices are somewhat narrowed.

I think my cd burner is actualy burning. I dont know how to fix it. I also voided the warrenty of my msi dvd drive i didnt know opening voids it until i saw the sticker/

Lol i found out what it is. It was the card reader that came with the ecs l7s7a2 board. I conected it the wrong way on the motherboards usb 4 pin connection. O well i wasnt going to use it anyways. Thanks everyone.

Back