• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC setup, temps sound right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grimdeath

I've completed my first watercooling setup after reading the forums for months (thanks guys!).

Here's my setup:

NF7-S 2.0
Barton 2500 @ 200 * 10 (2 Ghz)
Maze4
Eheim 1250
Black Ice Extreme w/enermax UC-12FAB 120mm fan
5 1/4" bay reservoir.

Here is an early picture.

Since upgrading to the 1.7 Bios (which again tweaked the CPU temp reading), I've had an idle temp of ~42C according to Hardware Doctor. (PS: room temp is 74F, case reads 27C).
Does this sound right for this Bios? 1.7 raised my temp reading by 6C or so. At load (I really haven't tested), after running 3dmark03, I've read 45C or so.

I can't imagine I have any air in my radiator.. possible??

They're slightly on the high side, but nothing to get worried about My guess is that after having it on for a few days, any remain air will slowly find its way out, and your temps will decrease along with this. Unless your temps get in your way of overclocking, I wouldn't be concerned. If you run into issues, reseating your waterblock may decrease temps by around 3°C.

*bump*

I can't see it being the block; it is solidly and squarely mounted with some ASIII. I also get a ton of waterflow through the res.

Even as a precaution I've layed the comp on both its sides with the pump running to get any possible trapped air out of the radiator; I can't get any.
When I installed the CPU I bent the thermistor up ever so slightly so that it would contact the base of the core too.

What temps are you other people with NF7-S rev 1.7 bios getting now?

I'd guess some shrouds would help airflow through the rad properly. The rad doing the job of dissipating heat needs good flow.

45C for your CPU on a WC kit?
sounds a bit high, my system doesnt even run that high and I only have it running on air. and a 80F room temp.
hhhmm, I looked, and here is my sugestion.
cut a 120mm hole into the front of your case, move the rad to the front. then also mount a 80 or 120mm bowhole at the top of your system to pull the hot air out. see if that lowers your temps.
at least try the first, remove that 80mm fan I see blowing air in,
also check to make sure your front holw is pulling air in well, also cut out those nasty stock finger guards that hurt air flow.
-L_P

Ok, I'm officially baffled now.

This morning, my temps are as follows:

ROOM TEMP: 23C
CASE: 27C
CPU IDLE: 31.5C
CPU LOAD: 35C (Prime95)

With the system OFF last night, I slightly flexed the Maze4 and ever so slightly rotated it left/right (I have the plastic mounting screws/posts). I didn't feel much play nor hear anything.

Is it possible I wasn't making perfect contact? Do these temps sound correct for my setup?

That sounds more like what I would expect from a pretty good H2O system :)

It is amazing how much difference a small change in pressure or alignment of a wb/hsf can really make.

If just the thermal compound was a little bit thick, a slight twist can fix it (note- if the compound is perfect or thin, that makes things worse. ;))

One thing I have noticed with almost every pc cooling system I have done: temps for the first 24 hours after initial start up and temps a week later are NOT the same.

Time/vibration/pressure/heat all seem to work things in together and results improve. Sometimes the improvement is small, sometimes pretty big. If it doesn't get better I now suspect that I did something wrong :D

Edit- shrouding your radiator fan should help out a bit too.

Back