• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling temp problem! Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InsaneO/cer

Registered
Hey guys, i am still a noob to water cooling and having major problems. My temp just wont stay down. Here is a Screen shot of my temps at idel.

temps.JPG

I think that is just horrible.

My system specs are:

ThermalDragon|Intel P4 3.0CGhz|Abit IC7-G|Corsair TWINX XMS3200 512MB (2X256)|Western Digital SE 80gb 7200rpm HDD|Antec TruePower 480 Watt|LiteOn 48x24x48x Cd-rw & 16x DVD-ROM|ATI 9800 pro 128mb|Win Xp home.

Everything is running a default settings. Now i know that abit reads the temps high but i was getting 1c lower on the STOCK COOLER!

Thing i have tried:
Place a can of ice on top of res to cool the water-no go
Place a fun pulling and sucking air on the rad-no go

Watercooling specs
DD Maze4 Intel P4 CPU Waterblock
Procore from detek
Bay res from detek
EHEIM 1250 317GPH pump
Water wetter
Tubes
Clamps
120mm fan
Bin from target.

Thanks guys

Insane

Ignoring your idle temps for the moment, how do your load temps compare (old setup versus new)?

Full load with stock cooler 57c water cooling 55c

Feel the waterblock under load, is it warm or neutral? Could be a mounting problem :/

Ok will do. If is it neutral that means it is not mournted right correct?

I've an Abit IC7 myself.. The temp monitoring is only useful as a relative tool, imo. For example, your cpu is running at +9.5 C in relation to your case temps, and you've got a 2C temp drop under load (where it counts) reletive to your old setup. Considering that your cpu fan is no longer in place, and the "proxy cooling" that it used to do for nearby components (including temp monitors) is no longer taking place, the results aren't really too bad.

Perhaps a remount of the waterblock might improve your temps somewhat, but I wouldn't sweat it if it doesn't.

A remount may help. If your board uses an in socket diode that could also b e the problem. They dont seem to like watercooling since there is no air moving in that area...

InsaneO/cer said:
Hey guys, i am still a noob to water cooling and having major problems. My temp just wont stay down....

Another couple of quick questions: what kind of thermal paste are you using, and have you double checked your hose routing for kinks/flattening in any tight turns you might have?

Another couple of quick questions: what kind of thermal paste are you using, and have you double checked your hose routing for kinks/flattening in any tight turns you might have?

I am useing as3 for thermal past. The hoses have no kinks or flat spots nor any tight turns.

I put water wetter in the water and that foams a lot could that cause any problems?

If there's foam, there's air. That's one problem. The other problem is, is that as Altec said, in-socket thermistors often read air cooled setups as being lower in temperature than watercooled ones, because of the lack of airflow.

The foam is at the top of the res. There is no foam in the tubes nor air bubbles. About the in socket thermistors, is there away i can get a accurate temp then? Also it my 42c acctuly lower then?

You could take a slim diode and put it next to the core and see what it says.

Yes that prabably means that the core temerature is lower than what the motherboard is telling you...how much cooler, though is a mystery. ;)

Also it my 42c acctuly lower then?

Yes, chances are that it it is. Maybe my earlier statement was unclear:
Considering that your cpu fan is no longer in place, and the "proxy cooling" that it used to do for nearby components (including temp monitors) is no longer taking place, the results aren't really too bad.

Another way to state it might be that the waterblock is blocking case airflow to components (the mosfets, mosfet monitor diode, case temp monitor diode etc) without having a fan mounted atop it as your old heatsink did. There is a very good chance that the case temps being reported from the location of the temp diode will be higher than the average temp in the case taken from other locations within the case. A quick way to verify if this is the case would be to temporarily mount a case fan aimed at the mosfets above the cpu socket and check to see if your case and power temps decrease to any degree.

There have been conflicting reports upon the accuracy of the IC7/IC7G temp monitoring configuration (abit BB among others), however most user reports I have read seem to agree that the temps being reported are usually anywhere from 5~10C higher than the actual temps.

Last edited:
. A quick way to verify if this is the case would be to temporarily mount a case fan aimed at the mosfets above the cpu socket and check to see if your case and power temps decrease to any degree.

Ok will try.

Thanks

Rmonster and everyone for the help.

i read up on this at the swiftech site, apparently the mobo takes the air temperature in the socket and uses a formula to calulate what the cpu core temp COULD be. without the airflow of course this doesn't work. taping a thermal sensor near your core will give you the best approximation. there is also a program called radiate on the swiftech site that takes your ambient temp, voltage, core speed, and type of chip and proposes the true temp. however this is very similar to the whole formula conjecture.

and yes most of the magnufactuers come up with there own formula for their sensor :D

Back