• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VH6-II, Legacy Sound, Windows Protection Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typhoonmike

Have a VH6-II with a Celeron 500 in it. It's a computer for my little boy. It comes with onboard sound in the form of AC '97 although it has something related to Soundblaster.

In the BIOS I have a couple of options.

Onboard Sound: Auto/Disabled(This basically turns the onboard sound on or off)

Onboard Legacy Audio: Enabled/Disabled
Enabling it opens up several other options

-Sound Blaster: enabled/disabled
-SB I/O Base Address: 220H/240H/260H/280H
-SB IRQ Select: 5/7/9/10
-SB DMA Select: DMA 0/1/2/3
-MPU-401: Enabled/Disabled
-MPU-401 I/O Address: 330-333H/300-303H/310-313H
-Game Port (200-207H): Enabled/Disabled

With Onboard Sound set to Auto and Onboard Legacy Audio set to Disabled I have no problems really. Except that I have Nascar2 which my son really loves to play but it runs in DOS somewhat. As a result I need DOS sound.

I enable Onboard Legacy Audio but leave Sound Blaster disabled and I still don't have sound in Nascar2 and nothing extra seems to be found when Windows loads.

If I enable Onboard Legacy Audio and Sound Blaster and leave the IRQ at 5 or at 10 I get a Windows Protection Error. If it's set at 7 or 9 then it boots into Windows fine but still no sound in DOS.

I honestly don't know much about those settings other then the IRQ one and I know the only time it's sharing an IRQ is when I set it at 10 which shares the IRQ with the AC '97 Codec.

I'm wondering if anyone knows why I'm getting the Windows Error and if at all possible what I'm supposed to do to actually get this thing to provide sound in DOS.

Back