• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advantages of a larger heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think anyone you find should work well..I have one from a Ford Cougar that's about 9"x6"x2"...I use it in an external setup as well...will be posting pics soon :)

I was thinking of either a PUSH or a PUSH/PULL system, but I need some instructions (detailed) not good with metal to make one.

I just cut a hole in my enclosure and put the radiator infront of it, then put the fan to blow out across the box from it (about 5") .. all the air has to come in through the HC and it all has to go out through the fan

The Law of Diminishing Returns applies I think.....

A larger heater core (as long is it does not decrease flow rate too severely) should work better, BUT- since heat transfer works best when the temp difference is at its largest, the improvement is much less than you might think.

I have two systems with heater cores- one the ubiquitous Chevette core and another from a Chrysler that is about twice the size. I have not (yet) swapped cores to see the difference in performance but I am pretty certain that it will be slight: maybe a full 1 degree celsius. But I don't expect a huge difference when I do the swap.

Absilutely very little if any.

Unless you're into TEC+ type heatloads, a larger heatercore won't get you a thing.

toysrme and roger pretty much hit on it

heat load and diminished flow should determine if your core needs to be bigger.
large cores may get rid of an extra 1-2C BUT may drop your flow rate to much and then in the end you may suffer performance hits.

if oyu are using a powerful pump and your system has more heat ( like smp) then its definately benificial but if not then most normal size cores will work fine

Back