• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink/fan suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cesear

Hi, first time overclocker :D I looking at Epox ARDA3+ with a AMD 2800+ Barton. What do you fellas recommend for a heasink/fan combo? I was thinking about this one http://www.svc.com/thvo11edhipe.html

Are there are any ones that don't fit well on this mobo?

Also, what do recommended to use to remove the thermal pad from a stock AMD heatsink.

Thx

cesear

Depending on your budget, I'd suggest either the Thermalright SK7, $14,99, or the SLK800U, $29.99, from case-mod.com. The Volcano isn't too bad, but it is outperformed by the $15 SK7.

I agree with CrashOveride. The SLK800 and SLK900 are awesome heatsinks. You just get the right fan and a speed controller on there and you're set.

yes get either the SFII or a tornado, if you get the tornado make sure you get a rheobus or something to control the fan speed, unless you don't mind your comp sounding like a jet engine

cesear said:
Hi, first time overclocker :D I looking at Epox ARDA3+ with a AMD 2800+ Barton. What do you fellas recommend for a heasink/fan combo? I was thinking about this one http://www.svc.com/thvo11edhipe.html

Are there are any ones that don't fit well on this mobo?

Also, what do recommended to use to remove the thermal pad from a stock AMD heatsink.

Thx

cesear

welcometotheforums.JPG

that one is pretty nice, but the actual heatsink isnt very good. IMHO it has the best 80mm fan. the Thermal Take Smart Fan 2.

I have a volcano 9 and im not really a fan of any of their products but the smt fan 2.

if you are looking at cheaper cooling but still relativly good, id look at that V11, but it will need ALOT of lapping. that is one reason why TT products arent very good. they are machined very poorly and do NOT have smooth bottems. but, what id go for is the THERMALRIGHT ax7 (?) with a THERMAL TAKEsmt fan 2. or if you want to go high end get at least a thermal right slk 800 wiht the smt fn 2 ;) I highly recomend the smt fn 2 and it CAN move alot more than what the specs say. sometimes even more air at a higher pressure than a vantec tornado, not always though. and it can be adjusted to have whatever speed you want. to the point where it is like a jet engine or a quiet whisper :)

oh yea, and don't get the 900 its a "tight fit" according to the website... just get an 800

Back