• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swolen Capacitors on my Epox!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seal

I was checking my comp yesterday and was shocked when i noticed that a few of my capacitors by the CPU on my Watercooled Epox 8K5A2+ motherboard were VERY swolen, one of them this very second has some leekage on it! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has ANYONE had the same problem on their epox mobo? Im going to email epox now, does anyone know where i could get very high quality replacement capacitors because i cannot afford to have more than 1/2 a days downtime on this comp.

Thanks
Seal

DSCF0348.JPG

DSCF0351.JPG

Wasn't there a story in the news, not too long ago, about an employee of one of those manufacturers that sabotaged the process in the making of a whole bunch of capacitors and the manufacturing companies didn't find about it until the caps were sold and in use??

I thought it was industrial espionage where the designs of the capacitor were stolen but the design was in a flawed state and so consequently were the capacitors.

Which brand are you capacitors on the 8K5A2+??

I have a 8K5A3+, basically the same board, but i do not have this problem. The capacitors are Sanyo's. How old is your board?

The label on my capacitors say "GSC" on them i cant see the word sanyo but i didnt look that closely.

Ive been advised to buy replacements equal to or of slightly larger capacitance.

Does raising the voltages on the mobo increase the chance of the caps popping? I know they can pop at default voltages, but wonder if raising the vcore, for example, will accelerate the situation on the caps involved.

this is ridiculous im annoyed, yep, i cant find replacement caps of the same value anywhere! im in trouble and very annoyed, rmaing will take years.

have emailed them, they pretty much told me to f* off, im not buying epox nemore. they sed as well that they dont cover customers doing things to boards themselves.

Ive bought a new asus a7n8x and willl return the epox for a refund.

My motherboard's caps are looking pretty dodgy - I noticed about a week ago, they're bulging / leaking out the top. I'll drag my machine out of it's corner in a minute or two and have a look to see what we need for replacements...

The best capacitors that I know of for this are Black Gates, but Rubycons are good, and much cheaper.

They're just pregnant. The ones with the really big buldges means they are likely having quadruplets. Leaking means the water's broke and birth is near.

If you want to cause premature birth, go get a very LARGE power source and hook to them and watch the sparks fly.

After birth they will likely no longer function.

Sorry, I couldn't resist having a little fin with this one. I would be pissed to if this happened. It doesn't seem right that you shoud eat the problem and if you can find some new caps, resoldering is a risk too.

I see you're in the UK but depending on where you got it you may try to send it back. Here, Newegg is very good about returns. I have a D-Link Laptop LAN card that died after about 10 months, locked the PC hard. I bought a different replacement card from Newegg but found they will take it back and replace/repair.

that happened to my 8rda+ about two days ago,
it started rebooting and wouldn't load into windows
my case is A LOT worse though..
i guess all those days of intense overclocking has come back to rape my motherboard right up the mosfets.
if anyone knows the type of mosfets that a 8rda+ needs, please lmk. thanks
heres a pic :)

Picture946.jpg

edit,
i went ahead a bought some 16v 2200uF after searching around a bit on ocforums..
i'll let u guys know how it turns out ;)
after reading a bit on this stuff, i don't think the problem is with the capacitors, but possibly the design of the board. The mosfets are considerably close to the caps and seeing how the caps are sensitive to heat, it starts to make sense. When i went to look up the life span for these type of caps, it ranged between 2000 to 4000 at high temps and continous load. my guess is, if you were to put a small fan in that general position, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place. The mosfets themselve go up to 100+c easy with a overclock, i had mine running up to 2.2v for quite sometime..

Last edited:
you know what, i check that capasitors on my mobo yesterday, ep8k3a, and it's buldged! only one caps, and it's not like Korndog has.. but the same as Seal (at third caps). with a little leakage.. i would like to post some pics when my camera is ready...

if i remember, this mobo has 2 years along with a 350W craps PSU (it's died 2 month ago and was replaced with Tt480W). The only problem i have is my computer watch/clock is not auto update. (But maybe it's because the battery has to be replaced?)

my guess is, if you were to put a small fan in that general position, you wouldn't have this problem in the first place. The mosfets themselve go up to 100+c easy with a overclock, i had mine running up to 2.2v for quite sometime..

i would like to replace that cap with the new, and resoldered it if it is possible. and maybe add some heatsinks on the mosfets.... has someone done this kind of replacement/resoldered before..?

najames said:
They're just pregnant. The ones with the really big buldges means they are likely having quadruplets. Leaking means the water's broke and birth is near.

If you want to cause premature birth, go get a very LARGE power source and hook to them and watch the sparks fly.

After birth they will likely no longer function.

LOL, shame it didnt do that for real, when they died they gave me little baby caps to re-solder back on...

anyways.

it isnt hard to resolder new caps on the only reason i havent done it is because i cant get my hands on the right ones. from your guys' experiences it sounds like epoxs problem is that they use cheaper components and cheaper caps which dont last as long or dont run as well hot.

Back