• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X overclocking memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micoyote1

Registered
I have an Asus A7V8X MB with a AMD 2000+ XP TB in it and 256mb of pc 2100 ram. I have it overclocked to 166x12X333 and it shows up as a 2600+ in windows, asus probe, sis sandra, ect. Do I need to upgrade to pc 2700 memory if its showing up as a 2600+ or am I ok running the pc 2100 at 333? Will upgrading improve my performance and graphics?

Thanks a bunch;)

Well if your pc2100 runs stable at 333mhz, then that's fine...it is running like pc2700. If you're going to keep your fsb at 166, then don't worry about getting pc2700 if your pc2100 runs good. Upgrading would only allow you to get a higher fsb than 166. If you keep it like that and got pc2700, it wouldn't improve anything, because you are still running at pc2700 speeds.

With faster ram you could increase your fsb up to 180-190 area. plus it not like you couldnt use it in your next mombo to even do beter depending on what you get.

(Will upgrading improve my performance and graphics?)

yes it will increase frame rates running a higher fsb if your video card's doesnt hold you back.

primetime2 said:
(Will upgrading improve my performance and graphics?)

yes it will increase frame rates running a higher fsb if your video card's doesnt hold you back. [/B]

Well, the upgrade itself won't improve anything. It's the FSB raise that counts, and 166 is a 166 with whatever RAM.

tighter timings alone is not a good enough reason to buy more ram - the boost in performance just isnt enough, you'd be very lucky if you got 5% from tighter timings.

better ram such as pc2700 would allow for fsb's in the region of 180-185 as other have said, and that definatly would bring you better performance.

Be aware though, that 185mhz seems to be about the limit for kt400 boards, so you have to ask yourself if its really worth the money or not.

I think I am going to go with the upgrade to 512megs of pc 2700 ram , because right now I am only running 256 of 2100 and tell me if I am wrong, but what I have been reading is that 256 megs of any ram is now the just about the minimum for XP. Will I be able to see a difference between 256 of pc2100 and 512 of pc2700?

Are there any brands of memory not to buy when overclocking?

512meg off ram will help u alot with windows xp from 256meg i think if u are running windows xp 512meg ram should be the least u should have when u are playing games and running other things aswell as windows xp

Difference between 3500 and 2700 IS much, cause 3500-like modules are usually brands like OCZ or Corsair. But 3200 is really a best buy in your situation.

Back