• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mini fridge turned in to a cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremly cool

Registered
hey finally I bought a min fidge and turned it into a chip cooler without a radiator and it only costed me $65 for the fridge and $45 for a block and iam now getting temps of 6c at idle and 8c at load

also i did not have to take apart the frige either

the fridge that i used was a whirlpool 1.6
also make sure to add a little antifreeze to the water any will do
all that i had to do was move the cold plate to the front of the fridge and drill to holes in the door then seal them with the foam stuff called "great stuff"

Do you still ned a radiator when you are using a fridge or can you just have a resevoir in the fridge and that does all the cooling?

Bigdogbmx if you look at SpaceRangerJoe's thread on fridge cooling we are over there discussing that now.

Extremely cool: You may want to check that thread out too. I also was going to ask you how you insulated the socket, tubing, and whatever else you took the precaution of insulating.

ok what i used to insulate the block was self adhesive foam pipe wrap buy frost king $3.79
big dog you do not need a rad buy you do need to move the cold plate to the front of the fridge

Extreme cool, is there a freezer section of the mini fridge? If so you want to un screw it and put it as much in your resivor as you can. But your will have to seal and insulate you mobo and stuff. My water temps in my mini fridge were -20c :D

pics? several people around here will host them for you if you need it. i can host a few for you if you want to email them to me. im at work now, but if you dont care about waiting till tonight, i can post them when i get home.
[questions]
what pump did you use? if you run your computer at full load, how do your coolant temps increase? what are your coolant temps? does the compressor run all the time? what water block did you use?
[/questions]

extremely cool, what cpu are you using and tell us(screen shots would be better) your overclock result and the cpu temperature at load.. because the cpu temp of 6C idle and 8C load is not likely possible if you're in the range of 2.x ghz range.. unless you're at lowest clockspeed possible. :cool:

I did that too for about 6 months. Im now using a lab water chiller thats a bit more powerful and a bit more compact.

Its really pretty easy on most minifridges. Just make sure you insulate like crazy!

here is an update on what my system consists of athlon xp 1600+
45gig and 40gig hard drives and 512 megs of DDR 333 RAM AND A SWEET kt400 motherboard that make it so easy to over clock
the block is a maze 3 all copper with brass 1/2 inch barbs and a 5 dallor reverse c clam and a gforce4 ti4200 and yes i did not overclock yet because i have been busy
oh by the way the pump is a fluval 103 with 1/2inch barbs

a few notes before i post the pics. if you press the print scrn button, it will take a screen shot of whatever is on your screen (in windows anyway) and save it to the clipboard. then simply open paint or something, and paste it in there. desktop shots are much easier to see like that. with that said, here are the pics of extremely cool's pc (resized).

DCP_0014.JPG

DCP_0015.JPG

DCP_0017.JPG

DCP_0018.JPG

Last edited:
Nice pics... Ranger. Nice work you have done to your system and the fridge..

i can't see your clockspeeds and temps in the screen though. :D

Did you give it some time to charge up that coolant to low temperatures? How's the liquid comin'.. :)

well when i turned on the fridge the temp was 24c and it drops slowly but then stays down octhis but it only takes 5 to 10 mins if the cpu is off and that was before i double insulated the pipes and my pump is only a 103 6w fluval also i had eo add more antifreeze to my mix when i saw a ice around the cold plate in the fridge :cool:

I'm very new to mini fridge stuff, but starting to get pretty curious. Here's my n00b question - don't mean to hijack, but would just like a quick answer. Do you...

A. Have a radiator inside the mini fridge
B. Have a big res inside the mini fridge
C. Actually run your tubing through the fridge's compressor

Johan851, you love bringing back 3 month old threads ;)

Not sure about the first question but since i have done the same project i can answere the other two. Yes he does have a big res inside and the evaporator from the minifridge is sitting in it. No, you dont run the tubing through the compressor that would be more of a direct die system.

I'm fascinated that this works!

this is probably a dumbass question, but what do you mean by coldplate? do you mean the evaporator part of the fridge? or do you mean something else?

Back