• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Plans For a Custom Water Kit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cow2kie

Gona get Eheim 1250 waterpump, Black Ice Pro Radiator, Swiftec MCW462-UHT w/ 226w TEC (for cpu), Swiftec MCW50 80w TEC (for sytem chip) Bay-res reservior possibly or a res that i'lll put in a mini fridge ;x

I have an amdxp 2400 @2.2ghz, abitmax2, 512mb Geild 3200, GeForce 4 4600 @ 306, 732

Any sugestions to my kit, that would make it better?

I only have 2 suggestions:
save money on the radiator by getting a heater core- same or better performance with lower cost. (I think the Pro is the one that is just a pre-modded Chevette core anyway, right?)

Skip the res and use a T-Line or an Air Trap.
A reservoir adds more flow restriction to the system than either of the solutions that use a Tee fitting- why restrict flow if you don't have to?
Besides, the bay-res cost a LOT more ! :D

Don't forget the insulation when using pelts....the last thing you want is condensation killing your system!

yeah i agree. skip the black ice and get the heater core. only real difference is the color. and most will argue that the paint detracts from the cooling efficiencyof the rad.

i'd also recommend getting a white water block from Dtek or a cascade from cathar. you're going with a tec so you could def use the extra cooling.

What is a heater core? and could you link me to the block which you suggested? Does it come w/ a ttc? those swiftec blocks comes w/ them.

The current Cascade is not suitable for use with Pelts as I recall. I think he was working on a version that would be though.....
Not sure about WW either...

I do have a Swiftech block though - a couple years old but still does quite well: Swiftech may not be a the forefront right now but they still make good stuff- and having a wb/tec assembly that has been designed to work well together is a good thing. :)

Heater core: (the search button would answer this as well but here's the rundown.)
Automotive heater cores are what warms up the interior of the car when the heater is on: engine coolant is pumped through it and a blower forces air over it, warming the passenger compartment.
They are designed to be very compact, efficient heat transfer units, which is perfect for our purposes. :)

There are two main types of radiators common in water cooling- heater core based and coiled tube based; heater core based units are less expensive and perform better than all but the most costly tube types.
And a heater core is less expensive still.
The chevette core is very popular for a few reasons:
common
cheap
perfect fit for a 120mm fan
needs NO mods to work with 1/2" tubing.

Hit google and type in Chevette Heater Core and you should get plenty of pics :)

Since this would be my first water kit ever, should I go with a pre-built waterkit and once i am more experianced w/ it make my own?

Back