• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uber fan for stock heat sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verbatim

Is there a uber fan to replace the one that comes with the stock standard heatsink on a AMD?

This would be alot cheaper than buying a new heatsink+fan combo if u arnt really looking for extreme cooling and just want that little bit more.

ta

Well, you could measure out the current fan you have, and then just replace a better one thats the same size, or mod your hsf to fit a larger fan if you can dothat. I remember the older AMD heatsinks had 60mm fans on them, if you could plop an 80mm on it you would be all set to go.

hate to be a winer, but if im not mistaken Uber translates into Very. not amazing or anything.... so your saying is there a very fan!

lol, can you tell im bored??

Insight.

Uber is an English language knock-off or slang for the German word über, ueber, or oeber, which means above or over in German. In colloquial English speech, uber means super, fantastic, ultra or above reproach.

heh, learn something new everyday.. so you want a super or fantastic fan;)

Yes the literal translation is "above"

Meh I would suggest lapping the HSF instead of buying a bigger fan - the milling on the bottom of mine is terrible but I'm too scared to lap it

erm

well 1st I'm scared someone foolish will turn on my PC while i have the HS off. I would take out the proc but I have nowhere to put it that is antistatic and above all clean. And people in my house are generally intelligent enough to work out the wire is unplugged but not intelligent enough to heed the words "DON'T turn my PC on!!!"

2nd I will probably screw it up, like getting a bit of sand in there or something, and having to do it for like 3 hours just to get the scratches out.
3rd In the UK we don't have Grit sizes, just Coarse, Medium, Fine. so, take your pick. I vote fine

</threadjack>

well if you're scared about someone powering your machine unplug the power cable from the PSU to the wall.

it's actually really easy and even if you don't do it perfectly you'll still net great results.

i do mine on my kitchen table or my bedroom floor. i don't have a special workspace either. the grit size may be an issue. i would also go with fine. maybe some medium to get it started than switch to fine. even if you don't have an exact grit just smoothing the bottom off would be an improvement.

Back