• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does IS7 work well with kernel 2.4.21?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

docinthebox

I need to buy a mobo to run linux and I'm thinking about the IS7. I understand that the new 2.4.21 kernel has ICH5 support. Is anyone running the IS7 with 2.4.21 and can you comment on how well it works?

Thanks.

I loaded Mandrake 9.1(kernel 2.4.21) on mine and it does not support either the Springdale or Canterwood chipsets. I found a development 2.5 kernel that would work if you compiled it in.
I would suggest a motherboard with the 845 chipset. I had good luck with an ASUS P4B533.

I read in this newsgroup article that you have to set the following kernel configuration options for the 2.4.21 kernel to recognize the ICH5 IDE controller:

* Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC)
* Generic PCI bus-master DMA support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI)
* Use PCI DMA by default when available (CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO)
* Intel PIIXn chipsets support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX)

See if that solves your problem.

I didn't have a problem installing Mandrake 9.1. It used several
settings by default that permitted it to boot and run OK. I was more concerned with the dual channel DDR which I don't think it supported. I really couldn't figure how to confirm either yea or nay what features of the 865 chipset were being utilized. Anyway, I moved Mandrake to an i820 system and all is well there.

I just noticed on linuxiso.org that the beta version of RH10 came out last Monday:

link

This has kernel 2.4.21. Maybe it's worth a try. I'm going to give it a try when my IS7 arrives.

Please post how it goes. Another reason I moved Linux was no support for the integrated 3com 3c940 chip and Realtek audio wouldn't configure either, at least for Mandrake.

Back