• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling and the "Moving Man" - Part 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikieboyblue

Alright guys....I got all my stuff in and I installed it all...now here are some pics of what I did....

Setup:

Abit KX7-333R
Barton 2500+
Maze4
Unpainted Heatercore
Sunon 120mm low speed fan
Ehiem 1250A Pump
Clearflex Chemical Tubbing
Standard Relay control
Super Glue
Other fun stuff....

Here is what I had before the mods...(poor pic sorry):

comp6.jpg

First mod was the back of the case to make room for the pump plug. Here is a pic before the mod:

Back_before.jpg

Here is a pic after the mod (1.25in hole and two 1/8in hole for the mounting screws...):

Back_pump_plug.jpg

More pics in the next post (too many pics).....

Part 2.1

Second mod is getting rid of the 3.5in hard drive bay (yes we will need to relocate the drives (I have 4 hard drives). Here is a before pic:

Case_mod_before.jpg

Sorry no pic right after the mod....

Next was to relocate those hard drives... I didn't have any 5.25in mounts on hand sooo...we used zip ties :). Pic of the inside:

Inside_harddirve_back.jpg

And a pic of the front (the fan is there still and running); I also added two more zip ties on the bottom for additional support...trust me it's not going anywhere!!:

Inside_harddrive_front.jpg

Now all together here is a pic of the right side top where the relay is mounted:

Inside_power_relay_mess.jpg

More in next post.....

Part 2.2.....

Here is the water cooling setup (the rad and pump are all held down by zip ties):

Inside_water_setup.jpg

Here is the entire inside:

Inside_entire.jpg

So that is the basic setup...now I do realize that it isn't the best for cooling but I was looking for less sound more so than outstanding cooling. And it has been worth it...Here are a few more pics.

The mess of construction: (haha, poor guy I'm renting a room from for the summer...no dinner at the table for him!!)

The_whole_mess.jpg

More in next post......

Part 2.3....

Here is the CPU I installed: Just for reference....

barton_cpu.jpg

Here is the CPU-Z of my first OC attempt (I need to get back my video card before I can go much higher...my stupid backup PCI card doesn't like anything higher than 185ish but I can hit 200):

Barton_oc_cpuz.gif

And lastly my temps after 6 hours of full load with Prime95 and Folding@Home:

temp.gif

Thanks for all the help guys in my original post and I really am thankful!!! Everyone here is a great help and am I debt to many!! Thanks for taking a peek at my FIRST ever water cooling experience!

Mike

PS - I should note that those temps are when the room temp was about 28.9 C

When room temp was 19 the temps were 23/32 full load....

Overall a very nice job- now clean up that wiring! lol

I do have one minor thing to suggest:
The way your T-Line exits right now is not ideal to let the air escape. Not saying it won't work, but it could go faster....

In a "perfect world" you would have the Tee fitting placed so that it is at the highest point in the system and has the T-Line itself going straight up- this gets air out as quickly as is possible.

Note that this is NOT necessary, just that I need to find SOMETHING to suggest ;)

Good job, man :)

CrashOveride said:
Not too shabby, those wires sure do look like messy though:D

Yeah I know, I am trying to figure something out with that.....I need some Ys and extentions to I push the wires up under the PSU and wrap them up. I don't have any of my computer stuff here since I am renting a place for the summer... Any suggestions?

Mike

rogerdugans said:
Overall a very nice job- now clean up that wiring! lol

I do have one minor thing to suggest:
The way your T-Line exits right now is not ideal to let the air escape. Not saying it won't work, but it could go faster....

In a "perfect world" you would have the Tee fitting placed so that it is at the highest point in the system and has the T-Line itself going straight up- this gets air out as quickly as is possible.

Note that this is NOT necessary, just that I need to find SOMETHING to suggest ;)

Good job, man :)

Yeah working on the wires (see above post)....

As for the T line yea I have seen that is not the best place. I have two fans on the side door and I am trying to optimise the space use. Four hard drives, two cdroms, live drive and floppy make a lot of IDE cables...We need to go fiber optics for IO and that would be a nice neat small cable. haha....otherwise thanks!

It did take a long time to get the thing bled. But it is A.O.K. now!

One small problem - I need a new motherboard! I have mine maxed out! I can only run it at 2.4 ghz (2500+)....I know this chip could hit 2.6 easy....it's barely hot under full load.

Mike

Pixel said:
you could have put ur rad above ur psu ;)

Acutally it wouldn't fit...the psu is raised up about a half inch from the support bars there...kinda stupid they should have just made it sit on those....but yeah I did try that......

you could remount the psu....and move it down an inch....with a case that size i woulda put all my watercooling stuff up top...and kept the drive bays where they were....

just a suggestion...overall looks great...and i understand ur working on the wires ;)

So, youre a zip tie ghey just like me =)

Nice work!
...but it looks like the pump would obstruct some of the airflow from the radiator-fan. Cant really se on the pics if that is so...

I was thinking the same thing. Looks pretty good, but from the pics the pump looks like it is almost right up against the fan on the rad. No room to scoot it a bit out of the way?

you should redo the way you hooked up ur pump,... the outlet should be connected directly onto the waterblock, for the highest pressure there.... ,then radiator,....

e.g. pump->cpu->radiator->pump

cause if you hit the radiator first, the waterflow getting to the pump will have been already weakened,,,,

this is nessesary with high resistence blocks or blocks that need turbulance to function, e.g. tc4 poly....

fafnir said:
you should redo the way you hooked up ur pump,... the outlet should be connected directly onto the waterblock, for the highest pressure there.... ,then radiator,....

e.g. pump->cpu->radiator->pump

cause if you hit the radiator first, the waterflow getting to the pump will have been already weakened,,,,

this is nessesary with high resistence blocks or blocks that need turbulance to function, e.g. tc4 poly....
Uh, sorry but this is totally wrong. I suggest you do lots of reading. In a closed loop system, the water velocity is a constant, (read: the same speed ANWHERE IN THE LOOP).

nikhsub1 said:

Uh, sorry but this is totally wrong. I suggest you do lots of reading. In a closed loop system, the water velocity is a constant, (read: the same speed ANWHERE IN THE LOOP).

Yeah I did some research on the subject and found that most setups go Pump -> Rad -> Block -> t-line -> pump...now if that totaly correct who knows just most of the opinions I saw.

Mike

pakir said:
So, youre a zip tie ghey just like me =)

Nice work!
...but it looks like the pump would obstruct some of the airflow from the radiator-fan. Cant really se on the pics if that is so...

and

I was thinking the same thing. Looks pretty good, but from the pics the pump looks like it is almost right up against the fan on the rad. No room to scoot it a bit out of the way?

You both are correct the pump is very close to the fan. That is one of three major flaws in the setup. The other two are:

1. there is a slight blockage for air flow from the non-fan side of the rad.
2. and the t-line is a little misplaced for easy bleeding.

The air flow from the fan isn't too bad. The problem with moving the pump is the following. I was trying to do the least amount of prement mods to the case in the event that I give it to my brothers. With that said, I didn't want have to cut out the space to lower the psu (someone suggested that earlier) :(. The wires - yeah always been a problem of mine :(. So with all that said it only left me with putting the rad below and the pump as well since I need to put my harddrives someplace. And I had to put the pump up close because there are two 92mm fans in the side of the case. All this said - the pump also got in the way of my sound card :(....

BUT - thank you very much for taking a look at it and I am always open to suggestions seeing as you guys have been doing this forever and I've only done this one setup. And as always and suggestions are very welcome! Right now I am getting temps around 32C idle and 36C load on days when the room temp is about 23C....when it get colder to around 20C I can get about 30C for the cpu. (overclocked the cpu from 1.8 to 2.4)

I love water cooling in the sense that when at load the temps do not rise much, they drop quicker, and it is much quieter!

Sorry for any mistakes in this thread the girlfriend was bugging me when I was writing it.

Thanks,
Mike

Back