• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does this setup sound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
well i got a 1700+ DLT3C and didnt have the funds to get a new case and water cooling system but now i do. Im getting a Chieftec/Chenming case with a Fortron 350watt psu. My water cooling setup i have in mind is as follows:

Hydor L20
Dtek unpainted pro core and shroud
Evercool Aluminum 120mm fan with 80CFM and 30dba
Dtek TC4 waterblock (thank you DodgeViper for the donation)
Clearflex 60 1/2" tubing
and thats about it.

Should i go for the Hydor L20 or L30??? im mainly going water cooling for the temps and not for the noise.

You can save a bunch of money by buying a chevette heatercore instead of the dtek one and making your own shroud. Then use the extra money and get the L30.

Using a chevette core and 1/2" tubing there is little to do:
Strecth the tube over the one 5/8" barb, or cut the barb back with a hacksaw- about an inch from the core it IS 1/2". :D
The other barb is already 1/2".

No soldering, no epoxy- done.

(NOTE: if you do hacksaw the abrbs back, flush the heater core very well before using it. You don't want the flakes of metal in your pump :))

for my chevette i used a dremel to do it. very easy. once it finds its groove it will slice through like butter. i couldnt use my hacksaw b/c it was old, rusty, and the teeth were wearing down. i gave that a try at first but it woudlnt bite so the dremel it was. i was suprised at how easy it was. i bought some 1/2" to 1/2" Barb Splicers at home depot. slab quite a bit of JB Weld (from Home Depot too) on one end of the splicer and just stick it in the heatercore pipes and then put a little bit on the outside where the union is. and before this i had no prior experience to JB Welding either. the only comparison i can think of JB Welding is like cup cakes. Take the icing and get a nice generous layer and slab it on the cup cake. but dont add sprinkles to JB Weld. :p . it comes in two parts a hardener and steel. mix the two evenly w/ a spreader, i used a plastic knife, and mix the two. it will turn grey and thats when you know its mixed. Its very easy to do and not hard to screw up. if it leaks, put some more JB Weld where its leaking and that'll cure it. and this stuff takes about 1/2 hour before it starts getting unworkable so you've got plenty of time. my project took me maybe 30mins to cut them off and JB Weld them. trust me on this, its very easy to do.

Back